Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Quilting, but not what you think

I have had to change directions again. At work last week I got an email about a bridal shower for a woman at work. I don't know this woman at all. I did not know she was getting married and marrying another employee. The shower will be at lunch time on Thursday and as much as I don't want to go, I am going just to pretend I am bonding with the group (rolling my eyes here).  I am not going to go out and buying something. I decided I would make placemats. I dug thru my novelty fabrics and found a couple that were construction related. I would have no idea what else to use since I do not know the woman or her future husband. Last night I got the fabrics, batting, and fusible fleece pressed together, and cut the binding. One of the fabric sandwiches is quilted and the placemats are cut out. Tonight I will quilt the other sandwich, cut them out, and maybe get to sewing the binding into longer strips. I found a neutral design for the backside so if they don't want to look at extension cords and power tools they will have just circles to look at.
The solar landscaping lighting I bought the other day is now charged up and here is what they look like. The one in the middle is buried a bit in the daffodil leaves, but they will soon fade back and the light will be more visible. 
I made some great progress on the Red Bank School piece. I had a lot of time to stitch yesterday and this morning. I was glad to get the alphabet done. Here is where I was yesterday and where I am now.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the solar lights are such a good idea. It will be interesting to see if they have any power when we get a cloudy group of days.

Vicki W said...

It's nice of you to make the placemats gift.

Robbie said...

Great idea on the placemats for a gift!!! Perfect! Your solar lights are lovely!!!!!