Thursday, May 25, 2023

Progress on Harley quilt, Blackbird done, RIP Miss Tina

Shirt number 21 is over half quilted.
The Blackbird piece is done. I am going to have to get some of my pieces framed; they are piling up!
The next piece I am going to stitch is this La-D-Da freebee. I am using 32 count Zweigart Beautiful Beige fabric and my favorite red which is number 242 Cosmo floss. Here is my start.
When I was a little girl I remember seeing Ike and Tina Turner on tv. I dreamt of becoming an Ikette and dance with Tina. Once I was a bit older I realized I was a short, chubby, white girl and that probably was an unrealistic career path. I couldn't carry a tune either! Years later my brother's best friend, Dave,
was Tina's Tour Manager in 2000. I got to see Tina four times that year. These pictures are not very good; no iPhone back then.
I made a quilt for Tina and Dave gave it to her for me.
Dave stuck a tour program book in front of Tina and she signed it for me. It is framed and hanging in my house. Dave told Tina said she was going to put the quilt in her guest room at her house in Nice, France.
Dave passed away in 2005. His family and wife had a memorial gathering and at that gathering I got to meet Roger Davies, Tina's manager, and several musicians that toured with Tina. I dramatically told the band fellows about how I wanted to be an Ikette, but then figured out I was a short, fat, white girl - well, I got the big laugh I was aiming for! They were all really nice. I also got to meet three member of the B 52's. Who knew that the short, chubby, white girl would someday come so close to a woman she admired. Rest In Peace Miss Tina.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have really seen a lot of famous musicians. Tina Turner was special.

Pauline Michaud said...

What a great story... you do get to meet some very interesting people. And to think one of your quilts made it to her... that's awesome. Great work on all your pieces.