Wednesday, April 21, 2021

T-shirt quilt progress, some yardwork, the sampler and SNOW!

After work I threw a chicken in a big pot to cook for soup, I got busy. My accomplishments for yesterday included getting the left hand row and the center row almost sewn together on the t-shirt quilt. After I hung the center row back up on the design wall I realized it was a bit short. I will add that striped piece of fabric to the pink shirt then sew the left and center row together. Ann, this quilt doesn't seem as structured, but there is a lot of fussy work with making sure the designs line up north to south and that everything stays nice and flat. I put a new blade in my rotary cutter so when I layer the pieces to cut and add an improv insert piece, slicing thru both layers at a time is easy. Robbie, I like your analogy of it is like being pregnant! The quilt seems to take a life of it's own and can throw a curve ball at me anytime! I try to look ahead, but things pop up that I didn't anticipate.
Even though it was in the 40's when I got home from work, I wanted to get started on cleaning up the Lenten Rose bed. I hadn't done anything with this bed ever since I started it years ago except for digging out a few plants to move to the new shade garden and to give a large plant to my brother to put in the yard of a house he was remodeling. Here is the before and current.
Doesn't look a whole lot different, but I only got the area on the left third done. I trimmed off the old leaves and pulled out lots of leaves. I had quite a large pile of debris!
I found some starts which I dug up and transplanted in the shade bed. They will have a chance to thrive here easier. After I get the rest of the bed cleaned up I plan on moving the plants around to fill in that corner on the left.
I made some nice progress on the sampler border. Here is where I was Monday and where I am now.  It is a simply, but pretty border.
Donnie, you are a no reply blogger so I will answer your question here. The difference, to me, between cashel linen and Irish linen is that the cashel threads are thicker and more consistent in size. The thread in the Irish linen vary in thickness and the weave is more open. Here is a picture of both. The Irish linen is the first picture. I laid it over a darker fabric so you can see how the weave is more open. Thanks for your question!
This morning I woke up to snow! Not just a little bit, but 3 - 4" had fallen! It had quit snowing at my house, but it is still coming down 15 miles away at work. It is quite pretty, but the trees are struggling not to break under the weight. Their budding leaves catches more snow.  It is not going to get that warm today so I would guess that it will not be disappearing until tomorrow afternoon once it starts to warm up.  

8 comments:

Pauline Michaud said...

Wow, I was going to write to ask if your weather has settled down into spring unlike our fluxes in temperature, but your post answered that question. We went down to about 32 degrees F on Sunday, then up to about 64 today, and back down to about 35 tomorrow. What a crazy spring! Thanks for sharing on the t-shirt quilt and stitching. It's nice to see the process you go through to put it all together, and I learned something new about linens! Have a great day. Sounds like a good sewing evening coming up given the snow outside.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad that storm missed us in northern IL. It's a good thing you worked on a little gardening when you got home. The cleaned up area can soak in some of that melted snow better now.

Donnie said...

We are getting snow in the Adirondacks, as well. Thanks for answering my question about the linen. I have no idea how I came to be “no reply”, but I bet lots of people were happy to hear your explanation.

barbara woods said...

we are suppose to get frost tonight to , thank heavens no snow

Robbie said...

WOW! Can't believe the snow you had! It looks beautiful that's for sure!!! We had snow still on the patio table until after 11 this a.m. Feels more like fall and we're waiting for winter rather than spring! You go girl on that T-shirt quilt! That 'baby' will get here sooner or later! HA

Vicki W said...

Wow, snow! It's chilly here this week but, thankfully, no snow.

swooze said...

Crazy weather!

Kaja said...

The weather is ridiculous, isn't it? I guess we will have to get used to it. The t-shirt quilts never cease to amaze me.