Wednesday, April 14, 2021

T-shirt quilt - now we're cookin'!

Thanks for all the lovely comments about the zebra sampler. I made this from photos; I couldn't find a chart. I think I now have four pieces that need framed. Sometimes the hardest part of making a quilt is getting started. Well, I finally started and have a plan. With the t-shirt fabric I got from my pile of shirts and a bag of scraps that were going to be rags which I found in the garage, I am putting this quilt together! The section at the lower left was sewn together last night. I am doing a combination of inprov, and ruler cutting and squaring up for this quilt.
My plan is to put this quilt together in four sections. I rearranged the shirts a bit. I will fill in the gaps with the scrap t-shirt pieces.
It was a beautiful evening last night so I just had to do a bit of yard work. I decided to fill in the space between the Shasta daisies with three of the plants I had pulled up from that other bed. This ought to give me a big display of flowers in a couple months. I circled the ones I planted last night.
I was dreading the next job to tackle. Look at this hot mess! Weeds, leaves, grass, oh my!
Much to my surprise the dirt was nice and moist so most of the weeds came out easy, I cut off all the dead leaves from the Lenten Roses, raked the bulk of the stuff down to the far end to put in my big pile of yard waste, and got out the leaf blower to finish it off. I spread two wheelbarrow loads of sweet peat and this is how it looks now after an hour and a half work. Much better and it cleaned up faster than I thought!
I did have one mishap. The first load of sweet peat was too heavy for me to dump so I lost control.  The wheelbarrow fell over and half of the load went into the grass. Oops! LOL!! Made myself more work. I scraped up what I could, threw it in the bed and raked the rest to spread it around.
It is going to be another nice evening so I plan on pulling any weeds I missed then dump and spread sweet peat. The fence I had was to keep the deer from eating the squash flowers on the plants that I had here last year. I will reinstall it once I plant this year's plants.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That has happened to me a couple times too with the wheelbarrow a little heavier than I could handle. A wheel barrow with wheels about 3" apart would make it more steady but probably not easy to change directions.

Vicki W said...

I love the moment when a quilt plan is resolved and you can just get down to work.

swooze said...

I’m sure you’ll have that quilt together in no time! Gardens are looking good.