Thursday, April 8, 2021

Sampler progress and digging more

Here is my progress on my zebra sampler. It has been too hot to walk at lunchtime so I stitch instead. Here is where is was
and where I am at now
I spent another two hours working in the yard last night digging up another ornamental grass. I decided to go after the big one and get it out of the way.  It has been in the ground for at least 10 years. 
Here is how wide this puppy was! I was dreading this.
Remarkably this one came out much easier than I had anticipated. I used the mattock to cut it into pieces instead of the chainsaw.  I had to pause every 4 or 5 swings to catch my breath.  That darn mattock  probably weighs at least 10 - 12 pounds so it takes some effort to swing that thing!  I ended up getting eight plants out of this clump. Here are the four I planted at the fence.  FYI- that pile of leaves and branches was dumped there by my neighbor several years ago.  Half the pile was on my property.  I moved some of it last night so I could plant those last two clumps.  I don't like looking at it so I guess I will have to move it farther down the hill.  Ugh!
Then I threw the other four clumps into holes at the end of the new bed I put in last year. This is just a temporary placement for them. I may need a few more of these in the future so I want to keep them alive.
Here is my row of plants. I am anxious to see them grow! It was forecasted an 80% chance of rain today, but that changed and now it's down to 50% later tonight. I am glad I gave the plants a drink of water last night.
So I am down to two clumps to dig out. I will divide these and replant smaller chunks in this bed and find a home for anything I have left. I need to add soil/sweet peat to this bed so I ordered 5 yards of sweet peat. I don't want to dig these up until the sweet peat arrives which is Friday. I can't wait to see that mountain of goodness/pile of work when I get home from work on Friday! Tonight I will start digging up the Shasta daisies I want to thin out and loosen the soil so I can work in the sweet peat on Friday. At least that is the plan unless it is raining.  I figure I should have this bed done this weekend and then I can spend the summer enjoying it.

7 comments:

Pauline Michaud said...

Wow, that's a lot of work. That grass will look awesome along the fence. I can't believe how many clumps you were able to get out of what you dug up! It will be worth it. We have started psyching ourselves up to start our plant beds at our new to us house this year. I really miss having flowers and greenery (I love hostas for shaded areas, and love peonies). We hope to get this done in the next few weeks, as here where I live, you don't usually plant anything until May - and anything frost will damage until May long weekend. We hope to start by digging the plant beds, then planting small shrubs/dwarf trees along the fence, then filling in with other plants.

swooze said...

Getting there! Have you made a single stitch in your quilt? I’m anxious to see your quilt plan

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great cross stitch piece! you made a lot of progress! and wow!! you worked hard!

Frog Quilter said...

Love the cross stitch project. Very unique!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

If your weather forecast is like ours there are many chances of rain through next Tuesday. We only got 2 tenths of rain yesterday afternoon and overnight combined. I hope at least one of the storms has more rain than that in it.

Kathy S. said...

Oh my gosh, Patty! That ornamental grass is so much work to dig out. The roots get so tight and it's like cutting wood. You have been definitely getting your workout. Your beds look gorgeous--even before the grass grows!

Congrats on getting so much done on the sampler. It's a work of art.

Vicki W said...

Your gardens are going to be beautiful this summer!