Tuesday, July 2, 2019

No sewing - just yardwork

First thing I had to do when I got home from work was to water the squash. The plants were looking a bit wilted. Here is what they looked like on June 22 when I transplanted them

Now look at how much they have grown in the last week!

I went inside to sit a while before I got up the drive to mow. Rain is in the forecast for today and the next four days. The grass was already long so I thought I had better mow. After mowing I watered the flowers and the squash again. Here are the Shasta daisies in the front bed. The ones on the right that I had transplanted are coming along slowly, but it looks like I need to transplant a few more in the center.
To the left of the Shasta daisies behind the telephone pole is a peach colored day lily. I got rid of most of my day lilies since the deer eat the flowers. Here I have circled where the deer have bit off the flower buds. I think I will pull this plant out this fall and replace it with more Shasta daisies.
The center bed is looking good other than the weeds that have showed up. I had weeded this bed Sunday the 23rd, but it needs weeded again. That will take place over the 4th of July weekend in the early morning when it is cooler. I plan on tossing down some California poppy seeds in the area I have circled. They grow fast and it will fill in this area nicely.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Those plants really do like being in the ground, so big already. Your daisies look great. The weeds love the hot weather, weeding is never done.

It's 92 degrees here now, unstable air, storms expected late afternoon. I hope I can get some digging done tomorrow.

Kaja said...

Your centre bed is looking very pretty. I have Shasta daisies but the slugs are eating all the flowers. Maybe I should try lilies instead. :-)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, our plants are thriving in our current hot house weather aren't they. Your squash look healthy. I'd be so angry to have my day lily eaten by anything. I have several patches of them all in bloom right now. Yesterday (Wednesday) the weather guy said no rain in sight for us for the night. Not 2 hours later the skies got gray and it poured so hard I couldn't see the house across the street. I had just been telling Terry I was going to add fresh water to the pond. We got at least 3 inches in about an hour. I was surprised that with all the recent rain, a place where water pools in the front yard disappeared shortly after the rain stopped.
Happy 4th.
xx, Carol