Friday, July 26, 2019

Changed my mind

I got the second baby quilt sewn together while I watched/listened to the TDF and it hit me - I might have enough to make a decent sized quilt. Wanda, great minds think alike! So I sewed the two baby quilt tops together and sewed together a row of eight blocks that would have been in the third baby quilt top to make the top 8 blocks by 6 blocks. I still had five extra blocks

So I made three more blocks and once I get that row sewn the quilt will be approx. 68" x 87".

I even have someone to give this to. We have a young intern from Uganda and she is so sweet. Most of the interns we have come from the local colleges so it is unique that we have someone from so far away. Next Friday the company is having a lunch and learn and Allen, yes that is her name, and her sponsor parents will be giving a presentation.

I found some fabric for the back and I plan on quilting it with this tangerine thread.

It was a heck of a race yesterday over three mountains in the Alps. Nairo Quintana from Columbia won the stage. This gain of time has moved up Nairo in the standing for the yellow jersey. I thought I would post this picture of a piece I made in 2010 to celebrate the Tour de France. I made this from three TDF t-shirts. The band at the bottom represents the jerseys awarded - white for the best young rider, green for the sprint point leader, polka dot for the king of the mountain, and of course yellow for the lowest overall time. This hangs in my downstairs foyer and I see it every day.

I am glad it is Friday. My plans are to watch the final stages or the TDF, hopefully get some weeding done, and get the quilt top pin basted so I can start quilting it. Throw in some laundry and some housework and I think my weekend is full! Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Brilliant idea!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you decided to make it into a big quilt. I just love those African prints.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like your switch up idea of creating one quilt instead of 3 small ones. And the gal you plan to gift it too will absolutely love it. It is just so darned colorful! Your TDF quilt looks great. Have a great weekend. The weather should cooperate.
xx, Carol

Kaja said...

I love both these quilts. Also I had the possibly daft thought, looking at the photo with the yellow markings, that I would like to see a quilt made with those lines added in fabric. I hope you were happy with how the TDF finished.