Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Early work, newest project

I don't know if it is the time change or what, but I was tired when I got home from work and didn't feel like doing anything. I did mention to one of my readers that I ought to show some of my early cross stitch pieces and the difference of when I started and how it has changed! This is the first sample I ever stitched. I didn't date it, but I think it was from the early 70's. I bought this stamped pieced from an offer on the back of a Kleenex box. There also was a crewel piece that had two pigs on it that I stitched, but no longer have. I don't remember how much I paid for it or if it came with the floss.  It couldn't have been very much money.  I used babysitting money.
I then made this piece which was an iron on transfer. I don't remember which pattern company this came from - McCall's or Simplicity. The fabric is an off white muslin. Those squirrels are scary! Not dated, but I would say the early 70's.
Moving on to Aida for this piece which is dated 1983
Sometime between 1983 and 1985 I graduated to stitching on linen. I have this little piece dated 2-85. I know I stitched this for a gift for someone too. I have no idea about the pattern, although I think I have seen the chart recently on ebay.
I was still stitching on Aida as this piece is dated July 1983. I think at that time this piece was shown to be  stitched on Aida so that is what I did. Now I would stitch it on linen.
I stitched this piece in 1985 but didn't frame it until 2/16/87. I had gone to a place that would cut all the pieces then you could use their tools and frame it yourself. It cost me $15.13 to frame it. I can't believe I had written all this info on the back, but I am so glad I did.
I framed this one the same day as the previous piece -  2/16/1987. It cost $10.42. I know I stitched this piece more than once to give as a gift. It was a very quick stitch and I saw the chart for sale on ebay yesterday for this with another small sampler from The Scarlet Letter.
Then there is this piece which seems to be the last sampler I stitched until last year. I framed it December of 1988 and it cost me $34.00. It is stitched on linen and now that I look at it the border is so plain! I have no idea where I got the chart from.
Last year I finished the cross stitch stocking, the Danish cross stitch tree, tbe Birds of a Feather piece, the Harris zebra sampler, an Irish Blessing, a little red sampler, three smalls, and two cross stitch pieces that I made pillows for Xmas gifts so I guess you could say I have gotten back into cross stitching after a 30 year hiatus! My next project is this reproduction sampler originally stitched by a nine year old boy, George Eisenbrey. I haven't seen any other samplers stitched by a boy so I like that this one is unique. I found this in a library book although I have seen that you can buy the chart. The original is in the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum in DC.   I don't remember the library book, but I will post that information when I figure out which book it was in. It is a small sampler so this one should not take long to stitch.
Here is my little start. I am using 28 count Italian linen with the called for DMC colors. There was one color that was silk, but I substituted DMC.

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I embroidered one like your second one and it was a McCall's printed design. I run across it now and then but couldn't tell you where it is now. Embroidering jeans and jeans jackets became popular in the 1970s and I did a lot of that.

Pauline Michaud said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your journey with stitching. I love the history behind these as well. We're getting closer on the little quilt we've been working on. I quilted it on Saturday, and tonight, we're going to square it and work on binding. My friend still wants to learn and do every step, so hopefully, we'll get this done by the end of this week. I also got another quilt quilted at the studio on the weekend, so I will be working on binding on that one as well.

swooze said...

Wow thanks for sharing all your lovely work.

Vicki W said...

Thanks for sharing your previous work. It's a beautiful collection! I think I only have one of mine left.