Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Cross stitch and grout

No quilting yesterday, but I was plenty busy! I was digging up plants that will be going to Wanda and my neighbor arrived home. We talked a bit and he was going to mow his grass. I was looking at mine and it definitely needed a haircut too so instead of quilting I mowed and trimmed the front and side yard. After that it was a load of laundry and making another batch of black bean soup. I dried the cross stitch fabric I had dyed. It turned out good except the upper left was suppose to be more blue. It is still useable. I can always dye more and try again! Dyeing this Lugana/Monaco fabric closed up the spaces between the threads so it will be interesting to see how this fabric now stitches.
I made some great progress on the Birds of a Feather cross stitch. Here is where I was last Tuesday and where I am now.
I was running out of the dark olive green thread called caper. A trip to the store for one skein of floss - ugh! I was looking around and found some floss I had hand dyed a few months ago. I was just playing around and cannot remember why I was dyeing it, but the olive green I had dyed is a perfect match to the caper! How about that!
Another stroke of luck was that when I went to the Home Depot to see if they had the grout I had used before for the tile floors in the bathrooms was still available. Yes, it was and they had little containers of the color I needed! Some of the grout came out of the joints in one area of the upstairs bathroom and I need to fix that. The grout that was leftover had gotten hard and yucky so thus a new container was needed. I think I might have gotten too much water on the floor when I was cleaning up the excess grout. This needs to be done as part of getting this bathroom finished. I will show pictures once I do the work.  I had taken a picture of the old grout container before I pitched it so I would get the right color. 
Now that the weather is cooling off I will be walking instead of stitching at lunchtime. Meanwhile, I had a big day yesterday walking when I went to Home Depot and Walmart to pick up a few things. I always park way out from the entrances so I get some walking in. The cheddar dot is where I parked.
So with all those steps I got in yesterday, I received my Fitbit Russian Railway badge for walking the length of the Trans-Siberian Railway. I haven't been walking that much this summer; it has been just too hot, but it was fun to get this badge anyway.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love those dyed cross stitch fabrics!

Christine said...

Love the idea of walking the trans-siberian railway!!! What fun.
Great dying, love your colours.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Congratulations on your walking badge! Again with lucking out on the thread or this time floss! You are making great proton the birds. Most impressive is your dyed cross stitch fabric. Great colors and mottling.