Monday, October 11, 2021

But I measured!

Yes I did neasure, but apparently not correctly! LOL!! I worked on the t-shirt quilt on Sunday. I decided to sew the improv border on the right hand side and look - it is too short! I thought I had measured and made it plenty long - NOT! LOL!!! Oh well, I will just gather up what scraps I have still laying around and add on. I stuck the border up on the design wall on the left side just to get an idea of how this quilt top is going to look.
The cheddar lines show the seams I have left to sew.
So what else happened this weekend. I had to make cupcakes for a birthday party on Saturday - kind of a last minute call. I made the cupcakes on Friday night and iced them before and after getting my car serviced.
While I was on that side of town, I stopped at the Asian Market to get some soy sause and noodles, then a quick stop at the sewing center for quilting thread for the t-shirt quilt.
When I got back from the party I cleaned up the studio a bit and worked on finishing the three smalls. I decided to just put wool on the backs and skip the piping. I have a lot wool to choose from and one of the backs was made with this fabric that came from a sample book. I got a bunch of sample books from a tailor's shop over 20 years ago. I used a bunch of it when I made that wool quilt for my brother, but I still have a bunch. I had some yardage of the red wool and the other backing was from an old skirt.
I filled the smalls with ground walnut shells (what a mess I made!  LOL!!  had to get the vacuum out after that!) and stuffed a bit of wool batting in the corner first so the corners will stay filled in. I see a lot of smalls on videos, but if they are stood up all the walnut shells settle out of the top corners and the small slumps down. I am hoping the bit of batting keeps mine nice a tall. I plan on doing a blanket stitch around the leaf shaped and add some buttons for decoration.
At one time I knew I had a button with an anchor on it so I went thru my button jars for that and for buttons for the other smalls. I wanted to put the anchor button on the whale small.  I never found the anchor button. Here are my button jars.
I fixed a shirt of mine and one for the neighbor, then dug up some Lenten Rose plants for a fellow at work.
Lastly, I heard from the fellow I made the second and hopefully dog proof cover. I tired to poke a hole in this material and it took all my strength and a very sharp pointed scissors to make a hole. There is no way that puppy is going to destroy this cover!  The fellow was very happy with it and wants another made as a backup so they can clean the cover as needed then have another one to keep the platform covered.  I am going to be smarter about it this time to try and make the job a bit easier. Here is what the cover looks like on the platform.

4 comments:

swooze said...

You are so productive! I need to take a lesson from you :)

Kaja said...

How frustrating that those borders aren't long enough. They look pretty dandy though, even in their shortened state.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope you have enough scraps to finish out the 2 borders. The top is looking good.

Vicki W said...

Oh no! You have to make another cover? I hope you are compensated well for that!