Monday, June 7, 2021

Improv quilt, framing, and an apron

I never feel I like I get enough done even with a three day weekend. I did burn 4+ hours going to see my hair technician. I had left early to go to the post office and get some large flat rate boxes, but they didn't have any. I went to the post office in the town where my hair technician's salon is located, but they didn't have any either. So I wasted a good hour messing with that. What I did get done was wash the towels, the vest prints, and the Ohio fabric for the improv quilt top. I also found the HERS pillowcase I had embroidered before I got married. I cut it up and added the embroidery to the top. The body of the pillowcase was all yellowed so it got pitched. The HIS pillowcase was gotten rid of long ago. I did some rearranging of the pieces and here is how the top now.
I still need a few pieces of fabric to fill in that bottom right, so I think this is an opportunity to do some serious cleanning and sorting. I am sure I will be able to find a treasure buried in a box somewhere that I had forgotten about. Meanwhile, I made several trips out to the garage to work on the frames. One of the fellows I work with loaned me this band ratchet.
It has four metal corners for framing. Man, did it work great! I am going to have to buy one of these! I got the other three frames together in no time, stained and varnished them, and got the cross stitched pieces done. I learned so much and so next time it will be easier. Here are the three pieces framed.  The second one down was finished in 1993!
I needed some vinyl project bags to organize some future cross stitch projects. It is just as easy to cut the fabric two bags as it is one so I ended up making eleven 13" x 10" bags and five 12" x 14". I don't need that many; I just like making them. If you are interested in one, just shoot me an email and we will talk. You won't hurt my feelings if you decide not to get one after we talk. So here is what I made - Paris
Numbers
Lavender love letters
London
Pink Love Letters
Skull - I made only one of these for me
The bigger ones - I used some of my ethic fabrics - purple
Green batik
Magenta
Here you can see the size difference. It is a bit easier to get an 8" x 10" paper in the bigger one.
So here are the ones I wouldn't mind sending to a new home
My nephew and his Mom called me last night about updates for the merchandise boot for the band.   First, thing I asked was if I still had my volunteer job working the booth.  I have been let go from other volunteer jobs like the art museum and the credit union.  They both assured me I was needed.  Yeah!  We have a pricing change for the t-shirts so we are going to need a lot more one dollar bills for change. She would feel more comfortable if I kept all the money on my person so I worked on an apron with pockets - one layered on top of the other.  The smaller pocket on top is for the wallet I work out of  and the bigger one behind is for the extra cash that won't fit in the wallet.  I made it out of some French Terry I had bought back in 2011. I just have to sew the pocket on and it's done! I will try this out at our first show for over a year is this Friday.  I can always modify it if need be.
Progress on the stocking.  While my hair was processing at the salon I got the horse Ecru color filled in.
Lastly, Friday morning I got up from the sewing machine and saw a doe and her fawn in my front yard! I saw the fawn a couple days ago in the backyard laying in the weeds at the edge of the woods. I was surprised to see mom had her baby out in the open.

4 comments:

Pauline Michaud said...

Wow Patty! Can you ever get a lot done in one weekend. Love hearing about all the projects and can't wait to see where things end up with the improv top. We spent time building shelving for the new garden shed that was built for us last week. Once that was done, we were able to load in our tools and some items we want to store in there. We're both very happy with the end result. Our yard is starting to look so much nicer.
Also did a bit of rearranging in the house. Here's to another productive week.

Vicki W said...

The back of that magenta project bag is a fabric that you used in a little art quilt that you made for me years ago! I recognize it because I see it every day that I'm quilting. It's right by the longarm and makes me happy to see it.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, you were even able to take a picture of the doe and fawn! The zebra sample looks wonder framed up. Doing the framing yourself saves a lot of money, doesn’t it? I love my project bag….hope others are interested in the new ones you’ve made :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It would have taken me all weekend to make one frame!! First of all I would have to learn how. You have so many building and fixing skills.