Monday, January 6, 2020

First scrap top, but ...

I managed to get one top sewn together using scraps and a piece of white Kona yardage from the pile I showed last week. The top is 40.5" x 48.5". Those are 4.5" squares which I sewed into 16 patch blocks. It wasn't quite wide enough so I added the yellow for a border using scraps from the yellow bin. Here is the top

I think I will put a scrappy yellow binding on the top and bottom edges and blue on the sides. I need to dig in my scraps and find enough to make binding out of.

I am not sure using the white is the way I am going to go after I get the rest of the blue squares sewn together. I don't feel like I used enough scrap fabric. I mean I need to make a dent and at this rate it will take forever! LOL!!! Using the white did use a bit from my stash so that at least is moving in the right direction of reducing the stash too. Here is the pile of blue pieces that have white sewn to them.

I will need to cut more squares of different colors so I have more to work with. I think the bigger squares does make a fun color impact. My iron died yesterday. I have a spare one that I used to finish out the day. It is a low end iron, but it will get me thru until the new one I ordered shows up.

I also am having issues with my #2 sewing machine. It is doing some wacky things like it keeps sewing when I have taken my foot off the foot pedal! I need to send it to my repair man. My other Pfaff 1475, #1, has a broken spring that holds the integrated walking foot in place so I can't use it. I should have sent that to my repair man when this happened, but I just didn't get around to it. Hopefully I can keep #2 running until I can get #1 fixed.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

The yellow really adds excitement to this quilt. The binding idea is brilliant. You are right though. This approach is going to be a slow way to use scraps!

Frog Quilter said...

Must keep a working machine available. I’m not much better, as I have two that need to be serviced. Keep working at the scraps! Eventually they HAVE to reduce down...

Ann said...

The yellow squares make a strong impact on this quilt. Love it. I know what you mean about the need to use more scraps and more stash. I've been letting my scraps pile up this past year but must now get a handle on them, yet I still need to reduce the stash significantly. It's difficult to actually part with our machines even when they need a tuneup. I try to schedule them during a vacation but it doesn't always happen.

Pauline Michaud said...

Happy New Year, Patty. Looks like you're off to a roaring start to the New Year.. and by the looks of it, have more than one or two quilts on your horizon LOL. Hope you had wonderful holidays. I managed to get my new Ikea cabinets in and started building my new workstation/fabric storage for my new home. I spent three days putting together 4 cabinets and 12 36" drawers together... (some assembly required). Waited for those to be built and then ordered some casters at the right height to make sure everything ends up at the correct height for cutting in the end. I will email you a picture once I finish putting this together. Once it's assembled, I will finally be able to unpack my quilting stuff (whoo hoo)... so I'll be able to start using my Pfaff machines! I too, have a healthy stash that needs to be used up. I'm pretty sure I can quilt for a long time without having to buy much fabric. Really like how your quilt turned out... great use of your scraps!