Monday, July 10, 2023

Made some progress

It was a busy weekend, but I did make some progress on the Lorain quilt. I drew a line around what is quilted.
I spent a fair amount of time walking around big box stores getting my steps in. It was so humid outside, but the big box stores weren't exactly cool. I did pick up some odds and ends I needed including some small pots and sausers for some plants I needed to pot and repot. The gray pots and the jade plant came from a nursery I stopped at - more on that so read on.
From left to right: Ginger that I grew from a piece of ginger root, a jade plant, a plant a friend gave me - I don't know what it is called, and a start of a snake plant. When I was looking around to by the jade plant I picked up leaves that had fallen off other plants and those are in the round plant tray.  No, I did not pick leave off of the plants - these were ones that were just laying around.  We will see if I can get them to root.
I had stopped at a nursery to see what kind of terra cotta pots they had and to see if their farmer's market was open. They always have the best peaches. The farmer's market doesn't open until tomorrow, but that is where I found these gray terra cotta pots. I stuck one of the plants in a gray pot and filled the saucer with water. It was fun to watch the pot change color as the pot absorbed the water.
There were loads of plants for sale. I walked thru the place just to get some steps in and enjoy the plants.
They had pots of coneflowers which I would have loved to take home (not sure where I would have planted them!), but at $19.99 a pot they stayed at the nursery.
I did pull weeds, trim a pine tree, and trim a mugo pine on Saturday morning. It took four hours, but all the planting beds got weeded.
The bed next to the house was weeded two weeks ago and it was a mess! Crabgrass was the main culpurt. Here is the before and after. It only took about 15 minutes to clean this bed up.
Here is a close up the jalapaneo plant. I guess the deer eating most of the leaves has shocked the plant into producing peppers! There are four tiny peppers!
Mom and the kids spent a lot of time in my backyard this weekend.

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love visiting the nurseries and seeing all of the healthy plants. I agree about the Coneflowers. As much as I'd like a lot of them to plant, the price stops me every time. I think they were $14.95 where I shop.

Robbie said...

Love the fawns!!!! Succulents are such great plants!!!! Love your quilt top!!!!

Kaja said...

I love nurseries too! Just for once I see something that is cheaper here than where you are, so I do have coneflowers. Your beds are looking very pretty right now.

Vicki W said...

Sounds like you had a really nice weekend! The quilt is coming along nicely.