Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Oldies, but goodies

I have been spending time going thru the piles of quilts I have. I asked the lady that needed a baby quilt (she picked this quilt)
if her church had any organizations that could use some quilts for the poor or homeless. She said yes so I went thru the piles of quilts just sitting in closets and on shelves and sorted out which ones that needed a new home. Here is the pile in the car. Since I am at work today I can hand them over to her today.
While going thru the quilts I founds some oldies, but goodies! This one is lap size and I made it for my Mom in 1981 for her birthday. It is one of my early quilts. I hand quilted it. The blue border is faded in places.  My Mom got interested in quilting because of this and made a lot of quilts until she passed away.
Look how bad the quilting it! LOL!! I am self taught and I have gotten better.   I am still no pro at hand quilting, but this is a hot mess! LOL!
This one is now such a rag. My x-husband had it until I saw it months later.   I have no idea what he did to this poor innocent quilt! I was so mad that he had trashed it I took it back.  It was hand quilted.  I have had it now for 31 - 32 years, but I don't know what I should do with it.  
I had forgot that I had made a Valentine quilt. This quilt was made from blocks I won in  February of 2000 when I belonged to a quilt group where I use to live. I finished it in September that year.  Mine is the lavender square block with the pink heart near the bottom.    The reds clashed so badly, that after I had the quilt done I dyed it in Dylon Tea Dye which toned down the harshness.  This one is being let go and is in the pile for donation.

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like the baby quilt she picked.
I occasionally run across and old quilt that I have forgotten about too. Out of sight out of mind I guess.

Vicki W said...

I love that Broken Dishes quilt that you made for your Mom and your bad hand quilting looks better than any that I could do!

swooze said...

Sweet quilts. How very generous of you!

Kathy S. said...

It's fun to look at and remember what quilts you made. Each one tells a story. Glad some of them will find new owners. I too have a pile of quilts that I like to reach in to and gift once and a while. I'm running out of good boy quilts. I'll deed to work on adding to those with the WIPS I have. It's also fun to look at our progress and improvements over the years.