Friday, December 6, 2019

Knitting and pounding

I needed to catch up on some shows I had taped so I knitted last evening. I need to get this scarf done for Christmas so I need to make sure I take it everywhere with me just in case I have some waiting time. I think it is going to be a cute scarf.
Pounding - what? At work. They guys are driving pilings into the ground to bedrock. These will be for building a bridge. Where they are pounding is probably 30 yards from the job trailer. They pound a section in the ground then weld on another section and pound some more. These pilings will go down 90 feet.

See all those stakes with the orange tips? Each one of those is where a piling will be pounded in!

Once all the pilings are in then they will be filled with concrete. After that a concrete footer will be formed on top of the pilings. Next will come the concrete columns that will hold up the bridge deck.

Across the street is where more work is going on. They keep having to install these odd shaped pieces of metal that are used to hold back the dirt. They vibrate these into the ground.

We were digging for storm sewers and found water. So to work in the area to try and resolve the water issue they are having to hold back the dirt so it won't collapse into the hole.
I am looking forward to the weekend! Mostly I plan to quilt baby quilts. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I don't think I would want to be there when they are pounding in the pilings. Between the noise and the vibration it would be pretty irritating.

Ann said...

Taking it with you is a good way to get hand projects done. Good for you.
The noise from the pounding would give me a pounding headache. Wow.