Thursday, March 28, 2019

More rows; more whacking

I got the blocks for two more rows sewn together. I am going to have to start sewing the rows to each other to make room for the block laying on the floor.

The daffodils are growing every day. I get excited to see the flower heads forming, but I have to calm down because it could be 3 to 4 weeks before they bloom. The ones nearer to the house are taller because of the micro climate there. The south facing brick absorbs the heat from sun so it is warmer there.

I was out whacking at the ornamental grass again after work. Here is the before and after.

Now that they are cut down I want to dig out the two big ones on the right. They are starting to push the rocks around and grow between the rocks. I am hoping the shovel/spade I bought last year will cut thru the tough, thick roots. I am planning on transplanting some of the chunks. My neighbor was out and I offered her some. I have dug out ornamental grass before and it is a lot of work, but I will work at it a little at a time. I laid down a yardstick so you can see that both plants are around a yard wide.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

We are also in yard work mode. Lots of tree and limb cutting and if the ground ever dries out I'll start spreading about 10 truckloads of mulch. And I have hollies that I need to trim. I hate trimming hollies!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Wow, they are big rootballs! I have zebra grass taking over a flower bed. I hope to tame it this year.