Monday, October 10, 2022

Quilting, baking, and cleaning up the mess

I will start out with reporting on my quilting progress. I am now 9% done with quilting the log cabin quilt. I had no time on Sunday to quilt. Since the square footage of this quilt is 75 SF, 9% doesn't sound like much, but when I say I am 7.36 SF done to me that sounds like a lot more. LOL!
I felt like I spent half my weekend in the kitchen. I made the cake layers Saturday late afternoon. I had a hard time sleeping that night because the house smelled so good. Sunday morning, I was up at 6 and started making the frosting for the cake. You can't believe how much butter and powdered sugar was in that frosting! Along with that I added 2 1/3 cups of crushed Oreo cookies. The cake was a big hit. It was so rich I had to slice the cake in very small pieces. My frosting turned out a bit darker than the picture in the magazine; I must have mixed mine too much.
I had gone to JoAnn's Saturday morning to get a zipper for one of my hoodies and I had a bunch of coupons. I also needed a bigger decorative icing tip and saw these cases for tips. It is a pain having to dig around in the utensil drawer to find my tips so with a 50% off coupon the tip case came home with me.
I needed to use up the shredded zucchini I had in the fridge so I tried out a new recipe for zucchini muffins. Someone had given me a bag of walnuts which I needed walnuts for these. I made these muffins after I had iced the cake.  Geeze, more dishes and cleaning up to do!
Then I put a batch of chili in the crock pot (more cleaning up!), packed the car and headed to the birthday celebration. We watched the Browns lose and then I headed home. I had to get my activity minutes and exercise minutes in when I got home so that pretty much shot the rest of the weekend.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Sounds like it was a fun weekend and I can just imagine how your house smelled! You are making great progress on the quilt and are going to go through a lot of thread on this one.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The cake looks delicious.
Lots of baking, lots of cleanup. I think that is why I don't bake very often. I hate to be a slave to the kitchen when I would rather be petting fabric.