Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Now I'm ready to quilt

I took another look at the wrinkly border and decided that with my 44 years of quilting, sewing, and alteration experience since I made this quilt top,  I would be able to fix this. I unpinned the pin basting, ripped the seam out, laid it down and smoothed the border fabric, taped the seam down, flipped the right sides together, and resewed the seam. Here is the before and after.
I would call that a success! Here you can see how much longer the border ended up. I would have thought there was more fabric than that causing the wrinkle issue.
Since this was the second larger quilt I had made, I thought I would show you the first large quilt I ever made. It took me six years to hand quilt it and in that time I remember I made a bunch of baby quilts too. The baby quilts were machine quilted very simply. The log cabin and the thousand pyramid quilts were made before there were rotary cutters so all those triangles with cut with a pair of scissors using a cardboard template. How did we ever have the patience to make quilts? LOL!!
I saw a picture of a thousand pyramid quilt in this magazine we got in at work which sent me off on my journey to become a quiltmaker.
Yes, I still have that magazine after all these years.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I always loved that thousand pyramids quilt too and made a wallhanging and gave it to my daughter-in-law in 1984.

I thought you would have at least an inch or more in extra border length. You might have eased it in as well as stretched it while sewing it on and now it is all evenly distributed.

swooze said...

I’m also surprised there was so little extra. Your first quilt is wonderful.

Pauline Michaud said...

Great job on that border. I can't believe how little extra there was at the end. That thousand pyramids quilt is truly beautiful. What a great job you did without a rotary cutter. That's a keeper for sure.