Thursday, November 4, 2021

Lavender progress and two steps back

While I was waiting for the duct cleaning guy and the glass guy to show up, I worked on the lavender quilt. I went digging thru my scraps that I had spent months on cutting and organizing last year and found a two pieces I could use. Blocks 1 and 3 are from the scrap bins. I barely had enough to make block 3; it looks so much better in person. This photo is a bit dark. I had enough of the batik in block 1 to make another block, but I am going to have to do more piecing to get a block since I have one longer piece and two short pieces. I also dug thru my Halloween fabric and found a piece just wide enough to make block 4. I have enough for a second block.
For my constant in each block I am using the darker and lighter tone-on-tone pieces. I was figuring out if I could make the whole top using just the darker tone-on-tone, but I quickly realized a yard was not going to be enough. Here are the strips I have sewn together in pairs
And here are the strips yet to be sewn together
Here are the bits I still have. Once I get the blocks made out of everything I have ready, I can then use this to make anymore blocks I need. It is strange making one baby quilt. If I cut fabric for one it usually turns into at least three or four! LOL!!
The duct cleaning guy showed up around 4 and could  not do the work. He was starting his prep work and found mold on the insulation around the A coil in the furnace so he couldn't clean the ductwork. He was really helpful and told me I needed to get some filters to put on the registers to capture any mold that might get into the air once I turn the furnace on.
I haven't had the furnace on yet this year, but yesterday the house was getting a bit cold even for me. The temps were going to be below freezing so I knew I finally had to break down and turn the furnace on. So I headed to the home improvement store at 4:45 to get the filters then got to work covering the registers. For the downstairs, I taped the filers over the registers; I was not going to unscrew them, put the filter in, and then screw them back in place! I would have to do all of that again once I get the furnace cleaned and that would be just too much work! I had seven downstairs to do like this. The tape didn't stick to the filter medium very well so I ended up going thru at least a half a roll of tape.
By the time I got all the registers done it was 6:45! The glass man never did show up or even call me. Gurrrrr!

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is the aggravating part about appointments, you take time off work and they don't even communicate. I hope they have a really good excuse.

Vicki W said...

Ugh. I have someone coming tomorrow to do some repairs. I hope he shows! I hope that you can find a better glass person.

Kathy S. said...

Ugh on the mold. What do you do to get rid of the mold? Does it have to be professionally cleaned? What a pain. Ugh on the glass man not showing up!