Monday, November 29, 2021

17th finish for 2021

I worked hard the last 5 days and you would think I could have gotten more done or at least I thought I would have gotten more done! Here is what happened. I did get item number 3 on my list done. This is a baby quilt for a woman my niece works with. I had gotten the first top sewn together on Friday (I had enough fabric to make two tops). When I hung the top up I realized I had sewn it together wrong. See how the zig zag is off? It's the one on the right in this picture. The one on the left is the way it is suppose to look. I had gotten up at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday because I couldn't sleep so by 5:40 a.m. I had the second top put together. I will go ahead and finish the other top for my stash of baby quilts. It's not horrible; just not what I was aiming for!
So here is the finished quilt. It turned out 43" x 53".
Item 1 - the platform cover - I got the strips for the sides cut out. Here they are with the  roll of velco that needs to be sewn on the strips. I plan on working on this tonight.
Item 2 - the dark flannel quilt. I got the top pin basted and have 13% of it quilted.
Item 4 - a stocking for my brother's dog. I got the design traced and picked out the floss. By the time I got around to doing this yesterday it was dark outside so I dug out the light box another brother of mine had made me years and years ago since I couldn't use a window and daylight. I used a Crayola washable marker to trace the design on some heavyweight cotton fabric.
I did get a start this morning on embroidering it. This takes me back to when I was a kid and I first had a needle in my hand. I remember my first project was to embroider pillowcases that had sheep on them.
Item 6 - pastel flannel quilt. I had bought some light blue flannel for the solids blocks so it needed washed along with the denim blue and gray flannel I bought too. I also had a bunch of Australian fabric that I got this summer that had not been washed so I washed it all then had hours of ironing fabric. I while I was at it I went ahead and cut the light blue flannel squares.
So here are the flannels for the pastel flannel quilt ready to go.
What I forgot to put on the list was making the two pillow with the deer cross stitch pieces. I found fabric and polyester fiberfill so I have everything I need for finishing these.
Another project that was not on the list but is now done is framing three cross stitch pieces. I cut up the frames I had bought at the Goodwill store and resized them. I am happy with how they turned out. The Irish Blessing piece is a gift for someone who when building their new house, had an Irish pub room built. I was glad to get these done. They took a lot longer than I thought to get them done.
I had family come on Saturday to watch the Ohio State/Michigan game so I made two homemade pizzas and pumpkin pie. I forgot to take a picture of the pizza when it first came out of the oven, but here is what they got to take home along with what was left of the pie. By the way, I made the pie crust from scratch. My house smelled so good!
Throw in laundry, dishes, cleaning up the laundry/utility room for the furnace man on Wednesday, cleaning up the studio, grocery shopping, and cooking three chickens then picking off the meat, that was my last 5 days.

3 comments:

Pauline Michaud said...

Wow, you got lots done this weekend! Those baby quilts look lovely, and the cross stitching pieces sure look nice all framed up. I can't believe how much you can pack in to your days. I can't wait to see the puppy's stocking when it's all done. I spent Saturday helping my friend make pierogies for her and her family for Christmas. It was nice to be able to chat... it had been so long. I'm hoping to get some piecing done these next few weeks.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would say you made the best of your time on your long weekend. On the 2 zig zag quilts I like the one on the right the best.

Vicki W said...

Well you accomplished 10x more than I accomplished! I made a wonky zig zag quilt just like that this summer.....mine was intentional! SO, IMHO, yours looks great.