Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Progress on the flannel quilt, stocking done

It was a busy four days! I have the flannel quilt all quilted and ready for the binding. The TDF and a two day Miami Vice marathon kept me company. I will have no problem getting this done by Saturday.
I did spend some time Monday with other sewing projects. I fixed a shirt for a woman I work with, sewed a patch on my new t-shirt I wear for the merchandise booth and stamped my name on the back, and repaired another item of clothing. Then I finished the Xmas stocking! I washed and blocked the cross stitched piece on Sunday then stitched it on Monday. There were over 200 French knots on the tree for the popcorn!
Friday morning I took a road trip to Berlin, OH to Zink's to look for flannel for the back of the quilt. I scored a great deal on full bolts of 60" wide flannel solids - the two gray pieces were $1.99 a yard and the off white was $3.00 a yard! I rooted thru the pile of bolts to find the nice stuff; there were bolts mixed in that were yucky fabric. The dark gray that I used on the back of this flannel quilt washed up beautifully.
I found this 60" wide yellow that will be the back for a flannel quilt that will be a Xmas present
and I dug thru the bolts of solids to find some nice pieces.  Now I am set and have something to work with!
I didn't buy any plaid flannels; they quality of the fabrics they had was not very nice. It was worth the 3 hour round trip rather than take a chance on ordering on-line since the quality of their fabric varies. I made a couple other stops on my way back at places I only get to every few months to make the trip even more worthwhile.  

3 comments:

swooze said...

Wonderful finds. What a busy weekend you had! Beautiful work :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your stocking is wonderful!! You will be smiling when you pull it out at Christmas time.

What a bargain on the 60" flannel! You can use scraps of it for piecing too.

Vicki W said...

You did get a lot done! My Mom made several cross stitch stockings by that designer. Yours turned out beautiful!