Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Next projects and protecting the cora bells

I had a busy evening last night. First thing I did was cover my cora bell bed with lightweight fabric so the deer won't nibble at them. I have some deer fencing coming, but since the weather is warming up I wanted to protect the cora bells until the fencing comes. I had a bunch of sheer type fabric that were given to me by a lady that is a costume designer and wardrobe lady for a singer/songwriter. I had met her several times at concerts and she gave to me - thru my brother - boxes of fancy fabrics. I gave a bunch away to someone who made purses, made a couple princess tulle skirts for little girls, and the rest just sit in a bin. There are some silk fabrics that were leftovers from when I use to work at the shop that made custom clothes for people who sew western horses. I dumped the bin out to find the sheer stuff
The cora bells are all covered up now.  I secured the fabric down with wooden skewers.  
Look at this fabric. It is pink, but has several colors in it that simmered in the sunlight.
I saw flowers on one of my Lenten Rose plants!
I wanted some black hand dyed floss for a cross stitch project. I found some floss and dyed it with black Dye-na-flow.
I am not real patient sometimes so I decided to heat set the floss with an iron. I placed the floss between several layers of a backing scrap fabric. The excess moisture and Dye-na-flow squeezed out and look at the cool scrap it made.
My next to do project will be putting together this stocking my sister cross stitched. I found some poinsettia fabric that our Mom had used in a quilt and it was the right color for the back and lining.
My next UFO will be this black and white Evening Star top.
I don't remember how long it has been since I pieced it. Guessing 13+ years. I found the quilt in book and it was orange and cream. I still have the pages I copied and my notes, but I don't know the name of the book it came from.
I am going to use this piece of Grunge I recently bought for the back.

6 comments:

swooze said...

Your evening star is a beauty. Can’t wait to see your quilting plan for this one.

swooze said...

How many UFOs left? Are they mainly unquilted tops?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I remember having some of that iridescent sheer fabric at one time. I used to make dance costumes for a bunch of little girls in my town.

Vicki W said...

Best dressed flower bed ever! I LOVE the black and white quilt.

Cherie in St Louis said...

The flower beds look so beautiful with their colorful covers! Your next UFO is striking and the grunge is perfect for the backing. Can’t wait the, what, three days it will take you to finish.....just kidding but you are on a mission!

Kaja said...

It always makes me smile - the idea of having to protect the garden from deer. Of course, it's less funny when it's your own garden.