Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Scraps and backing

Here is the first pile of scraps I decided to attack.
I found these vintage hankerchiefs in the pile. I relocated them to the box with the other vintage linens.
I found this leftover binding from the double wedding ring quilt. I am glad I found this and will be using this for binding the quilt out of the leftover blocks from the 16 patch quilt. I am out of wine colored fabrics so this was a good find!
There were a bunch of 3" wide pieces that I used for binding. I will probably sew these to white/off white 3" strips and cut into blocks that I can use to make zig zag quilts.
Here is the pieces I have cut so far out of this pile - 3 1/2", 2 1/2", and 1 1/2" squares.
So here is what that pile of scraps looks like now. Not bad for 2.5 - 3 hours of work.
I was digging around the fabric storage room looking for backing for disappearing 9 patch quilt and I found some that I forgot I had. When I worked at the quilt shop twice a year for their special sales the first thing I would look for when I got there was backing down in the bargain basement. I use to find some decent yardage. I believe this is one of those pieces.

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Taming the scrap piles is like an archeological dig. You never know what you will find. I think it is also very relaxing.

swooze said...

Nice! I have to use my scraps. I have a plan. Now to execute!

Kathy S. said...

Great job keeping up with your cutting plans! You'll have those scraps tamed in no time.

Ann said...

Taking the time to sort through scraps and closets (or basements) is always worthwhile. Even when they haven't been forgotten, it brings back memories of when they were purchased, what else they were used for, and who received them. Now they get a reprise. Hooray for you.

Ann said...

Taking the time to sort through scraps and closets (or basements) is always worthwhile. Finding them reminds us of where we purchased items, the joy of making something, and the recipient. And now you get to reprise all those feelings again. Have fun.