Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Masks and bread

Between yesterday and today I have 60 more masks sewn together. I have a three phase method for making mass quantities of masks after the pieces and elastic is cut to size. Phase 1 is sewing the masks together. Here are the 60 masks. I have another 54 ready to sew together.
Phase 2 is pressing the mask. I first press it flat then I press it not quite in half. Here I have about 1/2" exposed
Next I open the mask up and pinch that pressed fold toward the wider side. Press the fold.
Next I pinch the fabric for the pleat that would be in the wide side. Press the pleat.
Lastly, pinch each side and make the final pleat in the narrower side. Press.

I then flip the mask over the press the backside. I press because I find it easier to topstitch and sewn the pleats down.

Phase 3 - topstitch the mask.

Yesterday I made bread. The house smelled wonderful and the bread was so good.
I had some entertainment yesterday with the neighbor's house getting a new roof. This is the same crew that is going to do my roof which was damaged in the hail storm we had at the end of March.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like you had a nice sunny day too for the neighbor's roof job.

I was wishing I had some frozen bread dough to bake. I keep forgetting to put it on my shopping list,

Kaja said...

I accidentally clicked on the photo of your bread and blew it up to twice the size - it looked even better!

Kathy S. said...

Thank you for showing me how you mass produce the masks! I need to try that with making pleats. I may get to it when the big rain comes this week. I am still in awe of how many masks you have made. Yesterday I made... ummm... SEVEN.

Looks like the roofers will be in and out in no time. The bread looks wonderful. I don't leave the house (well, I left twice in the past month.) Whenever my husband leaves for parts for something he asks me if I need anything. I always say Clorox wipes and fast rising yeast! I really want to make more bread, but can't because I can't find anyone that has yeast in stock to ship it to me. Oh well. Sooner or later Walmart will stock it again...

Just keep sewing!