Monday, April 27, 2020

4th finish for 2020 - maybe

I have been having issues with the internet so I just haven't bothered to fight with it to post. It seems to be responsive so here goes!

I finished the red, yellow and gray hourglass top. It finished 40 1/2" x 51 1/2".
Why I might not consider it done is because when I was quilting it I didn't discover until after I began to put the binding on this piece of fabric that got quilted on the back!

I trimmed away as much fabric as I could and slashed between the rows of stitching. I will have to use a tweezers to pull the fabric threads out. Of course, it is batik fabric which will be harder to pull out. This fabric was a piece for a masks that got away from the pile.

I made 5 masks for a friend and her family, made 36 more for work, and have another 40 for work in progress. So far I have made 273 masks - with ties, 77 for work and 14 for friends and family. with elastic 180 for work and 2 for friends. I still have not received the fabric I ordered two weeks ago for masks for work.

I was up until 1 a.m. getting these done so the intern could pick them up this morning. I'm tired. It took me almost 45 minutes to put this post together. Downloading pictures is so slow.

Kathy S. I haven't forgotten about showing how I pleat my masks.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love your quilt and I'm sorry but I laughed out loud at the fabric snagged on the back! You are doing such a great thing with the masks.

Ann said...

Many of us have mixed up the hours of the day... and the days of the week. I'm often up well before the sun then head back for a mid-morning nap. I wonder if this will settle down when the shelter orders end.
Your new quilt is a delight. I always love your designs and color choices. So stylish and {at least to me} unexpected.
But, ugh! I've quilted extra back into the back when it folded but so far, have not quilted an entire scrap into it. It would be batik. So difficult to remove.
You have made many masks. I never had much elastic; that was never an option. I like the cloth ties but they take lots of time to press and sew. My DH and BIL like t-shirt ties. I fold each end of the mask into a "tube" and thread the stretchy ties through that. The fabric has some give plus they have knotted the ties so they only have to pull it over their heads. It saves them time putting on and off. Just a thought.

Kathy S. said...

Holy cow! You are the mask making QUEEN!!! They look so perfect all stacked together. I am still making prototype masks. I made ONE today. It may be my best fitting one yet.

I totally feel your dread on the slow uploading time. Yes, it takes me a while for blog posts too. Ugh. It's something I can deal with because my sewing machine is right behind my computer desk. I just sew while photos load.

Oh dear that sneaky mask piece that found it's way onto your gorgeous circle quilt. I love the circle quilt!!! Great job! Congrats on your almost finish.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Slow internet is a real pain. Mine is fast most of the time and other times I can barely open an email.

Kaja said...

What a pain that you caught that piece of fabric in the back of your quilt. I've done that too, but never got one as well quilted down as yours. Since it is mask material I'd be tempted to leave it as a memory of these strange times.