Monday, October 21, 2019

Sewing , dirt, and mulch

Not a lot of sewing went on this weekend. I did sew together the blocks into rows for one of the 16 patch tops. It was easier to take it off the design wall and hang the rows in order on a hanger until I can get back to them.
I stacked the other 16 patch top into rows and pinned the stacks on my other design wall. I wanted to move the pink quilt to the big design wall. I got two more rows sewn together and laid out some additional pieces to make the rows longer.
So what did I do all weekend? Moved dirt and 4 yards of sweet peat mulch. For the dirt I moved 13 loads on Friday evening and five on Saturday before the mulch showed up. My goal was to try and get all the dirt moved before the mulch showed up, but the driver was early so putting the mulch in the same spot the dirt was didn't happen.
My neighbor came over on Saturday evening and volunteered to help move a few loads of the dirt thank goodness!
I continued to break up the compacted dirt as he moved it to the back of the house. He could take a much bigger load that I ever could. In fact the loads were so big the handle broke on the wheelbarrow. He went and got some stuff to fix it and I found the Gorilla glue and a clamp. Shortly we were back to work.

It would have taken me 12 trips for the 4 or 5 loads of dirt he took. That was a huge help! I had gotten 4 yards of mulch and I needed to get it moved since it was suppose to rain Monday. I finished cleaning up the flower beds then spread 17 loads of mulch.

Sunday was back to moving mulch to the backyard for storage and mulching the coral bell bed after I fertilized and weeded it. looks so much better.

I finally got down to this much mulch left to move

In the back I put the mulch on a tarp
then covered it. I will have it on hand for dressing the flower beds up next spring and for adding to another bed once I get it cleaned up.

I had made pizza dough before I went outside to work. It was past noon and I was getting hungry so I dressed the dough and had pizza for lunch.

I was really tired so I rested most of the afternoon but still sewed a bit and did some laundry. I needed to go finish sealing the driveway at my brother's before the rain comes in this week and put out his trash. At 4:30 I headed to his house. I cleaned out the gap
stuffed in the backer rod

then squirted on the self-leveling sealant. I am glad this job is done! It took me about an hour.

This is all the dirt I have left to move. I will need to break up the clots so I can level out the lawn. Maybe the rain will soften it up and my job will be a little easier. I could use some easy!

My sister texted me and said I need a vacation after this weekend. I agree. To summarize I moved 18 loads of dirt and 33 loads of mulch.

5 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Wow you were busy but kudos to getting lots done. Hope you had time to rest.

Cherie in St Louis said...

You DO need a vacation! What a difference the mulch makes in the beds....they look fabulous. You must have great job satisfaction in that!

Vicki W said...

I am so impressed!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That sounds like about a week of workouts at a gym!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Man you work hard, while I hardly work, lol. But this week and next week we will start to winterize the yard/pond area. Your gardens look so good. It's hard to believe its almost November!
xx, Carol