Monday, October 14, 2019

Let's start with sewing. I finally got all the 16 patch blocks sewn together on Sunday. Then I started sewing the blocks together into rows. I have two tops ready to sew the rows together.

On Friday after work I went to my brother's house and attempted to fix his downspouts. They were routed into underdrains, but I have assessed that the underdrains are shot. His basement is so damp he has a problem with mold. I went ahead and did what I could as we were forecasted to get rain early Saturday. This first downspout was buried behind vegetation
As I worked on adding an elbow and a run of downspout to get the water away from the foundation, I found out the straps that held the downspout to the house were no longer attached because the screws were rusted. I propped up the downspout and will go back to add new mounting brackets. I had to go buy brackets, more screws, a masonry drill bit, and masonry screws for the brackets.

For the next one I also found that it was no longer attached to the house. UGH! I also cleaned out the weeds and dirt in the gap between the driveway and the house so I could add backer rod and sealant so no water would migrate down the gap anymore.
I found the perfect rock to prop up the downspout until I can get the mounting brackets on it. For now though the water will go away from the house. I also didn't buy enough sealant or backer rod. I bought more so I will finish this when I go back to install the brackets.

The last one was the easiest one to fix, but after 2 1/2 hours and sweating profusely I was getting tired.
Saturday included grocery shopping, getting a battery in a watch, and stopping at the home improvement store for the stuff I need for my brother's house. I trimmed one of my pine trees and filled in two holes left from the tree that fell

and got that big pile of fabric ironed.

I didn't get as much done on Sunday because I was so tired. I did take a long nap and today I feel much better.

6 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

You sure stay busy. You are quite the Handi woman, cheers.

Vicki W said...

You are the best sister! I spent Sunday afternoon going to an open house an hour away. My brother and SIL are moving to the area but she's not able to travel to come look at the houses. I sent videos as I walked through. It was better than watching my Eagles play horribly and lose to the Vikings.

barbara woods said...

all that work wore you out! At least you got it ready , we are suppose to get a little rain here, just not enough

Cherie in St Louis said...

You are amazing at what you’ll tackle and get done! My hat is off to you and it’s no wonder you needed a day of rest!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Both quilts are very pretty.

You sure know a lot more about repair work than I do.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You are great!! and pretty handy too! I like to think that I could do more things (maintenance) if I had to, but I don't know. I live with a guy that finished his work career as the maintenance manager for a large apartment complex so needless to say he did it all and still does what he can.
xx, Carol