Tuesday, September 8, 2020

11th finish for 2020

I managed to get those blocks sewn together, quilted and bound this weekend. So now I have one more quilt to add to my stash. I quilted it with off-white thread. It finished 40" x 48".

I started a king sized quilt that I need to have done for Christmas for a family member. The teal is the color that matches the walls and gray was requested for the balance of the block. I dug thru my stash to see what I could find; my goal was to only buy the teal (Kona Glacier) fabric. I am not much of a planner so I just found a light, medium, and dark gray and started cutting. I needed to be as efficient as possible and try to use every bit of the gray fabrics. I decided to make a sample block and then realized I would be wasting too much fabric by just cutting the width of the fabric.

I ended up refolding the fabric so I would have enough for the strips and removing the lengthwise excess to cut into 4 1/2" x 19" pieces.

I even took some pieces and pieced them together.

I have no idea how many blocks I will need or get out of the strips I cut, but at least I know I didn't waste any fabric!

The block is a disappearing 9 patch. Here are the first four. There will be sashing with cornerstones between the blocks.

I spent time watching the tour this weekend and Peter is still in the green jersey.

It is very strange what the organizers have done with the awarding of the jerseys every day. The podium girls that use to give the riders kisses are no longer doing that which makes perfect sense, but now they have a woman and a guy. The riders always talked how it was a big deal getting their picture taken with the podium girls kissing them on the cheek. Once the pandemic is over will it be one girl giving kisses while the guy shakes his hand? Was is sexist just having podium girls for decades? I don't know.

I finally used my mussel Staub cast iron pot and make scramble eggs in it. The eggs didn't stick and they never got brown like they did in my stainless steel pans. I am sure I will find other things to cook in this pot.

Did it ever rain where I live yesterday! I check at 8 p.m. and my phone showed 2.9" for the day! Here is the radar at 8:45 a.m.
and hours later at 12:15 p.m. another system rolled in. At times it just poured! It was still raining around 7 p.m.

Everything got a big drink and tonight after work I have to go check the garden to see how big that zucchini I know that is out there has gotten.

5 comments:

swooze said...

What great quilts. You had a really productive weekend!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, that was a quick finish! It is beautiful...I love the colors and that backing is perfect for it :). We are visiting our Evans City house and we got lots of rain too. Quite a bit of thunder as well.

Vicki W said...

Wow, that quilt came together fast! It's a very soothing palette. Perfect for baby! The new quilt is going to be very pretty. I hope you quilt it with a big motif!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your new 16 patch. That makes me think I should do another in my neutral batiks with mostly light ones.

I saw that your area was going to be hit hard with the rain that went south of us.

Ann said...

You're making a good start on the king quilt. I'm trying to use my stash, too. There's enough projects lined up for the rest of the year. Then I'll see if there are "holes" in the stash.
I wish we had some of that rain. It was 105 last week.