Monday, March 2, 2020

Painting and cleaning - not quilting

I got nothing done on the quilt this weekend as I focused my efforts on the laundry/utility room. I want to put a new floor in this room. Since I am going to get a new hot water heater in a few weeks, I need to get the flooring done enough that all I have to do is finish what will go under the heater once the plumbers pull the old one out. So before I put in a new floor I need to finish painting the walls. I started the weekend by going to Menards and getting the solid vinyl laminate for the new floor in the laundry room. They were having an 11% rebate promotion. Here is the flooring now stacked in the garage.
I wanted the lightest color they had and this is what I ended up with. The color is called Sea Salt and I had to see a piece against the old floor.
I spent Saturday and Sunday working in the laundry/utility room cleaning up. This is what the room looked like.
I had to move all the stuff off the shelves so I could take the shelves down to paint. I spent most of Saturday organizing things, moving the containers out of the room, pitching some stuff, and hauling a lot of stuff to the garage.
The arrow is where I had stopped painting.
I also had to rip out the rest of the baseboard, vacuum the floors then I steam cleaned them. I pulled out the washer and dryer and cleaned under them and behind them. I got the shelving wall patched and painted. It looks so much better!
The wall across from the shelving wall was accessible since I had cleaned out the room so I moved all the hanging items so I could paint the lower half of the wall. The arrow is where I had stopped painting when I installed those cupboards.
The lower wall is now painted from the corner to behind the dryer. I will take down the shelving unit to paint the upper part of this wall.
I started cleaning up about 4 and then headed over to my brother's to fill up the trash bin and set it out on the curb. I still have two more loads to get rid of. He had a closing date on the house and it feels strange that in a few weeks I will not have to take care of his house any more.

The city put up a sign now next to the cone I showed you last week. This is the backside, but is says "Uneven Pavement". No kidding! Duh!

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

that is a LOT of work you did in the laundry room. Preparing for the painting takes longer than the actual painting most of the time.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I got tired just looking at what you have been doing, lol. It all looks great so far. I am feeling kind of guilty...NOT...I am excited to move to a new place that is set to go. I may not even put pictures up for a while just to relish the newness.

This is the first year in a really long time that we don't have pot holes everywhere. It's been a record setting winter here.
xx, Carol

Kaja said...

One of my least favourite truths in life is that in order to make things look better, you have to make a mess first. You got a long way in one weekend though.