Monday, March 9, 2020

Flannel, painting, and mudding

I was happy to get my flannel I ordered from Hancock's. This will be a quilt for a friend.
The colors go good with the Indian's fabric I got from JoAnns'.

I spent all weekend working in the laundry/utility room so no, I didn't not get the t-shirt quilt quilted. I did start on this side of the room and took down these shelves and brackets.
I didn't even know what was in the one box! Now I know you want to see what was on the shelf and in those boxes! LOL! The unknown box had old jars and a electric knife. I trashed the knife and put the box of jars in the garage.
Another box had clothes. Some went in a pile for the Goodwill, the old pair of jeans when in the fabric storage room for a future jeans quilt, and that left me with two sweatshirts. One less box going back on this shelf!
The plastic bin had my son's and my twikondo belts and my pads. The belts are going; my son did not want his.
In there also was my Cat's Meow Hershey pieces - these will go upstairs in my bookcases
a French fry cutter that my brother who lives in Texas found at a flea market. He bought it for me because at the time I worked for Ekco. Going upstairs in the bookcases
cake decorations I saved from the cakes my mother had made for my son
and I found a rubber stamp I thought I had lost. I used it to print my own fabric for a quilt that is still a UFO. It is still a UFO because I needed to make more fabric but I couldn't find the stamp! LOL!!!
There were three books and some framed needlework. The books were my son's when he was little and the quilting book was my Mother's. They are going in the bookcases.
I moved the needlework pieces to the fabric storage room where all the other framed pieces are right now. I guess I can't make a decision about these yet so moving them is a delay tactic. The lone star piece was given to me by someone I use to work with.
This frame is going to the Goodwill

So I took down the shelving unit, gave it two coats of paint, and the stanchions and handing rail are back up on the wall.
I got the second coat of paint on the opposite wall and was got the stanchions and hanging rail reinstalled.

Had to patch a hole in the one wall. I cut a piece of drywall and made the hole bigger to fit the patch piece. I also scraped out the crack a bit.
Added mesh tape
then a coat of mud - after I had to make a road trip to go buy some mud. The bucket of mud I had was very old and had to be pitched. Here is my patch with the second coat of mud. I will sand it down and only add another layer if I have too.

The far wall which adjoins the bathroom needed some drywall put back on. Part of the wall was demoed when I remodeled the bathroom. I had to pull out all the nails left from the previous dry and unscrew the strap holding up that black pipe for the furnace exhaust. Before adding the drywall I needed to add blocking for the towel bar and a shelf I want to hang in the bathroom. I also added a stud so I would have something to screw the drywall to.
My neighbor was outside when I had come back from my supply trip and I had asked him if he would help me hang the drywall. So Dave came over and gave me a hand. He and his wife are such good neighbors! So here is the drywall hung with two coats of mud. It's ready to sand then paint!
The best part is I no longer have drywall in my kitchen/eating area! Besides the 5/8" drywall we used to fix the wall, I had a piece of 1/4" drywall that was left over and I had no use for so I cut it up and toss it so the drywall in this picture is now gone!
I attacked this area - cleaned then first coat of paint
Looks so much better! It still needs a second coat and it is going to be a challenge to paint behind the sink!

I didn't look at the ceiling until yesterday and decided it needs a coat of paint too. Yikes! Is room ever going to be done? LOL!! I started edging until it got to be after 4; I was tired and I needed to go to my brother's house and put out the trash bin. Here you can see the difference and the challenge I will have painting around all the electrical conduit.
Why is this taking me weeks to do when on a home improvement show it would only take a half hour? LOL!!!


6 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

You amaze me with all that you tackle and how much you accomplish! Going through belongings is difficult sometimes and I use the “move it to another location “ tactic when I can’t make decisions too! I think I need to start asking myself why am I having a hard time deciding ;-)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would have had to hire all of that done. You are amazing that you can do it all yourself. I guess in your job you see a lot of construction and that might be what gives you the confidence to tackle all of it.

Vicki W said...

That was a great weekend of work!

Janice Holton said...

Where in the WORLD did you learn how to do all those things??? Not only is that impressive but that you keep on going and do all those tedious jobs that gotta be done. Kudos to you!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gosh, this is the typical syndrome of do one thing and find another that must be done too. Hope you get done before you think it all should be done again (except the new drywall of course). I no longer want to do any of all that. Heck, I barely want to clean...but I do. Hope you are going to let yourself take a bit of a break now.
xx, Carol

Kaja said...

What you need is to take some of the chaps from your work home for the weekend - maybe you could pay them in baking!