Monday, June 3, 2019

Quilting, sewing, and gardening

I spent time on Friday and Sunday working on the 16 patch quilt and it is now all quilted!
On Friday the cone of Harem King Tut quilting thread Vicki had sent to me was dwindling and I wasn't sure if I had enough to finish this quilt.
I didn't have enough to finish but as luck would have it there is a store that was on my way to my brother's house on Saturday that carries King Tut. I stopped in and got a spool so I could finish the quilt on Sunday. Not much left on that spool either!

My next decision will to decide what color the binding will be. I have lots of choices since I bought loads of Kona solids not too long ago.

I will also be cutting that Kona into strips to pair up with the left over strips of prints from making the 16 patch quilt. I also have a pile of bits and pieces left too. I will be making baby quilts out of all of these bits. I figure I will get at least four or five baby quilts from these leftover bits. I will use up the rest of the Harem thread and I will use the other two cones of variegated thread to quilt these tops.

Saturday my nephew had a show in Sandusky, Ohio. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and he never got to play. There are strict rules that you cannot be on the stage if lighting is within 8 miles of the stage. There was lighting all around and above us. In fact, lighting hit the building right across the street from where we huddled under an awning. Yikes!

The lake was choppy for awhile

It was calmer later between fronts running thru the area.

It was a long day and I felt bad for the band not getting to play. A good thing was that I decided to make a cover for our other merchandise case which didn't have a weather cover. I did melt the cover a bit when I ironed on the number - that is the dark area - even though I used a pressing cloth. It doesn't hinder the performance and I learned something for the next time I iron on a number.
We put it in use as we did unload the equipment in anticipation that the band would get to play.
The cover worked well and it did rain on and off the entire time.
I did bake cookies and that eased some of the pain.
Sunday I did 4 - 4.5 hours of yardwork. I got some more seeds planted in pots. I know I am a bit later on these than I should be, but what the heck.
The seeds that already sprouted and now getting their first true leaves.
Then I had to spend some time weeding the front bed. It was bad! I also wanted to dig out the rest of that ornamental grass. My neighbor wanted some so he dug out a couple of hunks of it last week. I just needed to finish the job.
Here is what it looked like about a couple of hours of weeding. There is a lot of empty space! Some of my Shasta daisies didn't come up. It had to have been that brutal heat last summer. Then there's that ornamental grass!
I was getting tired, but I kept at it and dug that ornamental grass out. That was hard work! I forgot to take a picture of what I dug out, but my neighbor helped me haul it to the back and it took two very full wheelbarrows to move it all! It was now after noon and I was done for the time being. I now will haul some of that dirt in the pile I have in the driveway and fill in that spot where the grass was. After that I will transplant other Shasta daisies I have in my other beds to fill in the empty spots.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I am so happy that you used that whole cone of thread! You had a very busy weekend. Mine was totally opposite!

Kaja said...

The sixteen patch colour combinations have resulted in a lovely, rich-looking quilt. I planted my squash seeds ages ago but it's been too cool here and if yours keep growing so fast they will catch mine up within the week.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

The 16 patch looks amazing! Interesting pics of the water - calm and angry. Lots of baby quilts. I need to get into that mod.