Monday, November 6, 2023

So I got distracted ...

I had a busy weekend. My plan was to get the I Spy top done, but as I said I got distracted. I only have three more of the light blocks to sew together and if I put my mind to it, I can have the top done in just a couple hours.
I met up with family on Saturday to take them out for my upcoming birthday. They were running a bit late, so I walked next door to an antique/junk shop just to look. I found a couple treasures! I laid eyes on this box that had Keim Lumber carved into the front. Keim is a huge lumber yard and retail store in Charm, Ohio and is right across the street from the quilt shop. I have bought a lot of materials for renovating my house from Keim including all my windows. I had to clean the box up a bit and rubbed some Old English for dark wood on a couple scratches, but I love it! It measures 18" wide by 8" deep.
I wasn't sure what I was going to use it for, but then a light bulb went on and I decided to put it next to my sewing machine and fill it with my project bags. I proceeded to kit up a bunch of projects and now they are at an arm's reach to stitch on when I am sitting and watching TV.
I had stopped on my way to the birthday lunch at a cross stitch shop to get some specialty threads for a project. Those are now in the appropriate project bag.
Then on Sunday I made a trip to Michael's for floss I needed for a couple other projects I had kitted up. See how I get distracted? LOL!
The other treasure I found at the junk shop was this handmade wooden bowl. It was just lying on the floor with a pile of stuff. It is so beautiful and it had the maker's signature and year on the bottom! Chester made this bowl in 1960. It just needed a little cleaning.
Well, now I needed something to go in the bowl! That led me to finishing three smalls. They look so cute in the bowl. I had one more small to finish to add to the group, but I needed to move on to the next task.
Saturday when I got home from lunch, it was so nice outside I decided to leaf blow for 3 hours. I thought my arms were going to fall off! LOL!! The grass was long and I needed to get the leaves off the grass so it could dry and I could mow on Sunday. I blew the leaves to the back of my property to the tree line. I got the front mowed and trimmed, and most of the back mowed. It was getting dark and I was getting tired so I will finish up this week since the weather is forecasted to be nice all week.
My order came from the Fat Quarter Shop. I had ordered two one yard pieces of 32 count Fox and Rabbit linen. I heard that linen prices are going up next year. Tornado is a favorite of mine. I had bought a FQ and like it so much I bought a yard. Saltbush is very pretty, but doesn't have much mottling.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Some people don't appreciate wood items and can easily part with them. You got a couple beauties.
We definitely need to take advantage of these good days for the outside work. Too soon it will be cold and snowy.

Vicki W said...

Your treasures are really cool! I'm not looking forward to all the leaves I have to deal with when I get home.