Monday, April 17, 2023

What a weekend

I took a half day's vacation on Friday to give myself a nice long weekend, so I kept busy not to waste the extra time. First the sewing progress then I show you what else I got into. I finished up quilting that one t-shirt on the Harley quilt and got two more quilted.
I need to get a bunch of finishing details done around the house. I started off with painting the railing. It was very warm in the house so it didn't take long for the paint to dry. I have to use a 1" artists paint brush. The paint didn't have much sheen after it dried and so I looked at the paint can which I bought this custom color specifically for the railing back in February 2013 - yes, it was about time I got the railing painted! I don't know what I was thinking back then because it was a Satin finish. Took a trip to the home improvement store on Saturday to get a semi-gloss in the same color - Cloud Cover. I didn't get any more painted, but here is where I ended up.
This is all the railing I need to paint.
So until I headed out to get more paint, let's rip off the deck's steps! Looks like I need to power wash the siding. One more thing on to the to do list! LOL!!
Next I jumped over to baseboard trim that needed to be fixed. I have two places where the baseboard ends in thin air. Doesn't that end look awful?
So after I saw a you tube video of a Chinese woman fixing up a abandoned house, I saw her fix some trim with the same situation, so I knew what to do! Here are the two pieces of trim with the fix as the glue and wood putty was drying.
After some wood filler and two coats of paint, the end of the baseboard looks so much better! I still need to nail them in place.
Now that I made that look easy, the truth is my miter saw was not big enough to cut the angle in one cut.
I had to flip the board over, change the setting on the miter saw and try and get the blade thru the same spot. Thank goodness for wood filler! LOL!! I have more baseboard to install and in order to cut it I am going to have to buy a bigger miter saw. Mine has a 10" blade, but I need one with a 12" blade after talking to one of the guys at work that does a lot of home remodeling. While the paint dried, I sanded down the threshold for the upstairs bathroom. This has only needed done for 10 years.
It took me all of 10 minutes to sand it. I then threw on a couple coats of water-based poly, found the screws, and it is now ready for installation.
While I had the Multi Master set up with sandpaper, I sanded a little piece of trim for the sewing studio. I have no idea how long this had needed done. Let's just say ten years!
After priming and painting, here where it goes.
Oh no! Where is the piece that goes here?
Since it is cooler this week, I will be on a mission to tear thru everything in the garage to find that little piece of trim. I more than likely put it in a "safe" place so I would lose it! LOL!!! Between all of these easy (ha ha ha) jobs, I would rest and cross stitch a little on Elizabeth. I needed more DMC 806 floss for the piece I have been stitching so when I went to get the paint I stopped for floss. The 806 I had was from a box of floss I bought on eBay and was vintage. Well the current 806 is more blue and doesn't have the green hint in it.
So then I decided to work on another cross stitch piece until I figure out what I am going to do with the Elizabeth floss color problem. This was a freebie from Red Barn Samplers and I thought it was cute. I had it all kitted up with the floss and fabric.
Here is how far I have gotten. This will be a good piece to take with me on Thrusday when I am at a seminar all day.
I went to another place and got the cedar mulch I like to put next to this flower bed. This is where I plant my zucchinni every year. I bought 8 bags, should have bought 12.
Weeded and mulched the curb bed. The mulch is from the pile that I stored down the hill in the back yard for two years. The mulch at the bottom was wet and heavy so I took as much as I could from the top where it was dryer. The first load up the hill in the wheelbarrow was so hard. Then I decided to put air in the tire. Geeze! The other three loads were much easier to push up the hill.
While I was out and about I stopped and looked for floss again. This time I took the little bit of vintage 806 I had so I could compare. I found color 3809 and it is pretty close.
Here is where I was on Elizabeth last time I showed her and where I am now.
Finally some happy mail. I had heard about a shop going out of business so I ordered some cross stitch linen. I got it for almost half off.
Let's see what I can get done this week.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Lots of little jobs take up a lot of time but you got a LOT done over the weekend.

Vicki W said...

We have sooo many jobs like that around here. We've been here 25 years and stuff just gets ignored. I did replace some cellular shades this week in 2 rooms. The glue between the cells started failing. Two of them in the same month!
Great progress on the quilt!