Sunday, January 17, 2021

All quilted!

I was suprised late Saturday night that the thread I needed to quilt two of the neckerchiefs was delivered. I hadn't checked the mailbox. Today I was able to finish up all the quilting on this t-shirt quilt. Now I just have to wait until the binding fabric arrives so I can get this quilt done and get it delivered!
To answer Kaja's question of my approach to quilt this, I decided I needed to quilt the neckerchiefs first, then I could move to the t-shirts that adjoined the neckerchiefs. I started with the light blue one because I knew I needed to nail down the design first then work my way to the diagonal. The neckerchiefs are much lighter weight fabric than the t-shirts and I was dealing with bias. I could always move any excess from the neckerchiefs to the t-shirts, but I would end up possibly with tucks in the neckerchiefs if I quilted the t-shirts first then moved any excess to the neckerchiefs. It worked well to quilt the navy and light blue ones first, then the quilt the t-shirts adjoining them, quilt the plaid and cheddar ones next, then the adjoining t-shirts, etc. Another thing I always do is to quilt around lettering or motif first then meander the background. This way I know the motif will stay nice and flat because otherwise the t-shirt fabric could move and then the motif or lettering could get puffed up and hard to quilt without making a tuck. You learn these things after making 30 some t-shirt quilts.

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That was a nice surprise to get the thread sooner than you thought. I hope your next package doesn't take the wrong route like so many other packages have done. I had one out for delivery according to tracking and then the next day it was 30 miles from here and the day after was in Chicago.

swooze said...

Congrats on your near finish! What color binding will you use?

Kaja said...

That makes sense! Thanks for the explanation, it's interesting to see how you go about breaking the task down.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Fabulous!! Yay for thread not taking forever to arrive. Thanks for the hints for quilting t-shirt quilts. IF I ever try one, I’ll be sure to check in with you in case you have any other hints :)

Ann said...

Such a striking design, Patty. I love your border. It's hard to mix woven and knit fabrics. You've come up with a great solution and good explanation. I do the same with words and motifs - sew around them first.