Monday, March 20, 2023

What a weekend

It was a crazy busy weekend. I spent some time cleaning up before my friend showed up on Saturday. We warmed up by cutting out tote bags from the fabric that another friend and my sister had gifted me. After lunch we worked on my nephew's suit. I taped the design on the light box my brother had made me many years ago. Kris traced the design on to the lightweight Heat and Bond. I would have never gotten as far as I did on the jacket without my friend's help.
I prepped the fabric and then pressed on the first tracings. She traced the design four times. I needed a tracing for the white and then for the green fabric. This is going on the sleeves because 1. the sleeves are too short for my nephew, and 2. the design will cover up the hem crease.
I pressed the design on the sleeves and then topstitched each layer.
I forgot to take a picture of the sleeve after I glued on the rhinestones. You will see that after I finish up the lining. When I went to sew the lining I didn't realize that the lining was too short. Geeze! One more thing to fix!
I dug around in a bin of odds and ends and found a piece of silk duponi that would work. In this picture it looks bluer than it really is. This is a scrap I saved from when I worked at the shop that made clothes for people who showed Western horses which means I have had this for 20 years! It finally found a use!
I got the pieces I needed cut out, sewn, and pinned to the sleeves. I will have to do this all by hand. I am anxious to get this done so I can finally turn the jacket right side out and see what the design looks like. I will be putting the same design on the pant hems to cover up the hem creases.
My friend brought me these two knitted chickens. Aren't they the cutest things? The egg can be squeezed out of the bottom as well as the top. Her SIL made these.
I worked on the sampler a bit Sunday morning. I was still tired from Saturday and I find cross stitching very relaxing. Here is were I was on Friday and where I am now.
I thought you might want to see the back. I don't carry my thread from motif to motif and I try to keep the back neat.
My brother sent me some pictures and he needs me to make a drape for this sound board. It won't take too long, but since I am working on my nephew's suit, things as piling up! I kind of drew lines of what he needs. The drape will help block the view.
Finally, Friday was a sad day when I saw Lance Reddick died. He was only 60! He was an actor and in a lot of shows, but I know him from the role he played in the John Wick movies. He played a great character and he had a lot of on-screen charisma and a great presence. He was on tour helping promote John Wick Chapter 4 which comes out on the 24th. I don't know if there will be a JW Chapter 5, but if there is Lance's charater will be hard to replace.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great friend to help you with the jacket. I can't wait to see it done. It's going to look fantastic. Your to-do list is growing fast these days!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The chickens are just too cute. You have 2 little Easter baskets now.