Monday, March 6, 2023

2nd finish for 2023 and the Harley quilt top

Finally the t-shirt quilt for my niece is done. It finished at 66.5" X 96". This quilt came about because my sister was cleaning out the remnants left behind by her daughter after she moved out.
The weather was so nice on Saturday and Sunday I just had to get outside a bit. Saturday, I cleaned up the side yard - again. My neighbor has an arborvitae that just drops needles all the time and it makes such a mess. There were also loads of sticks from his trees.
I ended up with a wheelbarrow of needles and then got out the leaf blower to get the leaves and sticks blown down to the tree line in the back.
Sunday, I got out the electric chain saw and trimmed both of my mugo pines. I still need to do some hand pruning on them, but they look a bit better. I toss the branches onto a tarp and drugged them to the tree line.
When I wasn't out working in the yard, I was working on the Harley quilt top. I just started going thru the shirts I had and decided to use shirts that had the name of a city on them. Every one of these shirts has a different place named. It is hard in this photo to see the shirts that are dark navy blue from the black shirts.
I have been debating if I should add a couple inches at each side. Right now, the quilt top is 82.5 x 97. I was thinking about adding a black strip at each side. The quilt doesn't have to be any particular size so I could just call it a day and leave it. I don't want to have to piece more than two strips of fabric together for the backing, so I am leaning to leaving it the size it is.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your niece is going to be so happy with her quilt! Good luck on the Harley quilt. I like the "place name" theme.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

your niece's quilt is so pretty with all of the bright cheery colors. I hope she will love it.
The Harley quilt is a good size without adding more to the sides. I would leave it as is. There is enough variation in the dark colors of shirts to look nice.

Kaja said...

Your niece's quilt makes me think about saving t-shirts as my youngest grow out of them - it's turned out really well. I agree with Wanda; the Harley quilt is a good size and looks great.