Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Pouches and DWR

After work I had to go get my hair cut so I didn't get home until after 6 which limited the sewing time. I did get three more boxy pouches done

and I got the zippers installed for 5 more plus the handles topstitched for 6.

As soon as I get home I want to get the zippers in two more pouches and then it's on to constructing them.

At lunchtime I did get one more complete ring done on the DWR quilt.

I got a phone call from the fellow that was possibly replacing my deck and he had bad news. You can't buy pretreated lumber right now. The big box stores are buying everything available, but it is inferior because the wood is not being soaked in the chemical solution that makes it pretreated very long. He said the solution only goes 1/4" into the wood which is not enough to keep it from rotting. SO now it is just a matter of waiting until the supplies get built back up. Who knew a pretreated lumber shortage would be one of the results of a pandemic?

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Have you ever considered the planking that looks like wood but is some type of plastic compound? That is carefree and will never rot. I don't know much about it though.

Vicki W said...

We have a deck with the plastic lumber. It's over 15 years old and we only powerwash it once a year. The new stuff is even better than what we have. It's more expensive up front but probably cheaper in the long run just with the maintenance avoided.

Pauline Michaud said...

Wow, that pre-treated lumber shortage is a surprise! Is there really that many more people with projects or is it that they aren't able to produce enough to meet demand? This COVID thing has been a revelation for sure! Hope they get supplies for your project soon. Love seeing the pictures of the zippered pouches... they look really nice. And that wedding ring quilt is turning out really nice too! I get to start a new project at quilt shop tomorrow night... I'll try to remember to send you pictures as I work through it.

swooze said...

I’m glad was honest with you