Wednesday, May 29, 2019

16 patch quilt and seedlings

I don't know where I left off percentage wise when I quit working on this 16 patch quilt to work on the Harley quilt, but after a little quilting I am 69% done.

I wanted to plant my coneflowers and lavender plants last evening, but it started to rain as soon as I got home from work. The rest of the evening it would rain hard then stop, then rain hard and stop. I tucked the squash starts between the coneflower and lavender plants until I come up with a better method of protecting the squash plants from being eaten by the deer. I have no idea if the deer will eat them, but I am not willing to risk it after all the nurturing I have been doing to try to grow these from seed. When I got home I was happy to see that another plant had broken ground! This is so fun for me to see how much they grow every day!

Here is another plant that is popping up

I moved the pots that have little plants into the garage overnight. When I went to move them back outside this morning, I noticed that the seedling in the previous picture was bigger and another seedling had broken ground! I can't wait to see what they look like when I get home tonight.

On my way to work there was a raccoon poised to crawl into his home which happens to be a storm sewer. I grabbed my phone to take his picture, but all I got was his tail and backside heading into the sewer.

There was a deer that ran across the road not too far from work. I was a hundred yards away, but I slowed down just in case another one would be running the same direction. Once I turned into the drive at work, there were a couple of goose in the road. Since I had to stop, I got out the phone and took a picture of a group of adults and babies having breakfast. The little ones are all different sizes probably due to when they hatched. There sure are a bunch of them!

I haven't seen the hawk lately.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I always think it's so exciting to see seeds sprout!

Ann said...

Good luck with your plants.
I saw a relative of your raccoons here a couple of months ago. Same result. Lots of backside shots.

Kaja said...

Good luck with your plants. We have different pests but it's still the same battle getting things to maturity without seeing them eaten.