Thursday, April 4, 2019

Pin basting, yard work, and next quilt project

I have a third of the 16 patch quilt pin basted. Pin basting this one is going to take a while!

Meanwhile, I looked at my thread stash to decide what thread I am going to quilt this quilt with. I pulled out Signature thread in white and parchment, King Tut in white linen, a soft yellow Aurifil, and Connecting Thread in Lemon. My choice will be the soft yellow Aurifil on the front and Lemon on the back.

Meanwhile, I had an empty design wall and the need to make a quilt for the husband of a lady I work with. He is undergoing surgery next month and I think he will need a quilt for his recovery. I dug out my container with 9 patch flannel blocks that I had sewn last year and started putting them on the design wall.

As soon as I got home from work I decided to do some raking at the side yard. The sun was shining and it was warm so I just wanted to stay outside a bit. The wind was blowing from the front of the house to the back so it made sense to go with the wind while raking! There were about a million sticks from the neighbor's tree. Here is the before. The first picture where the blue line is, that is the neighbor's yard. The second picture is down the hill.

I raked and used the lopping shears to trim back my neighbor's growth that was starting to creep to my side. He won't care. This patch of his is beyond unkept. There are big vines growing into the trees that are choking them. It is a mess. I have live here 15 years and it has only been cleaned up once. So after an hour I ended up with a good sized pile of leaves and sticks. It looks better especially since I picked up all the trash bags and paper that had gotten caught in the tangled mess.

My daffodils are going to be blooming soon - at least the ones next to the house. The yellow flowers are peeking out.

I got this CD at the library last night. So far it is very entertaining. Bruce tells stories and sings. He does use the F word at times just so you know. It doesn't bother me; I have heard a lot worse. My brother who has toured with him, went to NY to see the show and said it was excellent. That is translating to the CD. I started listening to it this morning on my drive to work.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It will look so good to have spring blooms in this cold entry into growing season.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I agree with the choice of the yellows for the quilting. Did the daffodils sway your decision? LOL. I also love the new work.

Kaja said...

I like your yellow threads and am also pretty keen on those flannels that have gone up on the wall. Your garden looks so much better from that clearing up.