I finished pin basting the 16 patch quilt, carefully folded it, and set it aside. I needed the room on my table to work on the flannel quilt while I waited for the thread to arrive this week for the 16 patch quilt.
The flannel quilt was going to be all 9 patch blocks, but I ran into a problem. I had plenty of the blocks like the one here on the left, but I didn't have enough of the blocks with the solid corners like the one on the right in this picture.
Plan B - I will put a plain block between the 9 patch blocks and use all the blocks with the plaid in the corners. I debated whether to use a solid color gray or this printed gray fabric, but since I didn't have enough of the solid gray the decision was made for me! LOL!! I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it turned out I did.
By the time I went to bed Saturday night I had the top sewn together and the quilt pin basted! This quilt was quick to put together since I already had the 9 patch blocks made. I think I have enough 9 patch blocks for two more quilts but I will have to get more solid or tone on tone for the adjoining blocks. Sunday was all about quilting. I made the design bigger since I didn't want to quilt so densely on a flannel quilt.
I am now halfway done with machine quilting this quilt. I didn't have enough of that printed gray for all the blocks, so I used a navy printed flannel for the center area. I think it gives it a bit more design than if I would have then all gray.