Thursday, January 24, 2013

MQG meeting

It was a small group last evening of eight - I think because it was so cold outside, but we had a great time! We were to bring our favorite sissors. Here are the sissors

Three members out of the eight of us are left handed so there was a lively discussion about lefties using right handed sissors. Lots of good tips were shared about using wavey rotary cutter blades and sharpening sissors. Oh, by the way, I forgot to take my sissors (duh!) so here is a picture of mine I took when I got home. It includes my Ginghers - 2 pair of 8" shears, 5" shears, a small pair of embroidery sissors, a pair of nips, and a Gingher sharpening stone. We also talked a bit about seam rippers and here are my two favorites with my spares still in the package.

We then had show and tell. Joanna brought a beautiful silk and cotton table runner


I brought two of my step zig zag quilts.

Next month we are having a pincushion swap. I am going to put that on my calendar so I don't forget. I don't know what I am going to make, but when the question came up of what to fill your pincushion with, someone said to put some steel wool in the middle and wrap it with the fiberfill so that the steel wool will sharpen your pins. I thought that was a great idea.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Steel wool?? Wow, never heard of that,but I agree, what a great idea... I may just have to try that!

And what an interesting idea to share your favorite scissors. Mine are a pair of Zwilling J.A. Henkels that my father brought back as a gift to me, years ago on a trip from Germany. They are of course my favorite, as I was so touched by his thinking of me... knowing just what I would want. I cherish them, and hope he smiles down from above at me, every time I use them.

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you blogged about it. I wasn't able to come, but don't worry. I still have your pins. One day we will both attend the same meeting!