Wednesday, July 17, 2024

T-shirt quilt progress and tote bag cutting dimensions

I had a hair appointment after work so by the time I got home I didn't have much time to sew. I did get some of the improv piano key border cut and laid out so I can start stitching those together tonight.
Mary, you came up as a no-reply so I will post the answer to your question about the tote bag cutting sizes. I cut the handles 27" x 4 1/2" wide. I press them in half, then press each side to the middle so the handles are just a bit over an 1" wide. I topstitch both sides of each handle. The bodies I cut 15" wide by 34" long. I press under the ends 2" then tuck the raw end under to get a 1" hem. I sew the handle the same time I stitch the hem down. This saves time! I set the handle 3" in from the side. After the handles are sewn on, I stitch up the sides just using my presser foot as a guide for the seam allowance. I only zig zag the seam if the fabric easily frays. I cut the bags 15" wide because an album will fit in the bag. I hope this makes sense. If you have any more questions you can email me or leave a comment.  I hope this helped. 

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I opened my blog reader I couldn't believe I hadn't read blogs for 2 1/2 days. Prep work is a good idea when you are tired and only have a little time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reply on how you do your bags. I make items to donate to a charity and have some unusually fabrics that would work good to make bags.

THANK YOU!

Mary