Monday, July 1, 2024

A weekend of tote bags

This weekend a sewing friend came up on Saturday and spent the night. She worked on her Cosmic Cow One Block Wonder blocks. Can you see the cow in the enlarged photo with a rose in the cow's mouth? The cow's nose is green.
I finished up pressing all the tote bag handles and my friend helped me top stitch them. It took a total of 3 1/2 woman hours to get them done. We both sewed for an hour - so that 2 woman hours - then we took a break and went to the grocery store. I didn't know she was staying overnight so I was short on provisions. We got back and then we both sewed for another 45 minutes. She went back to her cow blocks and I started sewing together bags. Between Saturday and Sunday, I was able to finish 30 bags.
I sorted out the rest of the handles and matched them up with the bag fabric. I have 42 more bags to sew together for this round of bags. Last year I made 200 bags. Once I get these made I will have made around 120 bags so far this season.
While my friend was here I had her help me cut up the large picture frames I had sitting in the garage. I need to cut these frames down for framing my cross stitch. The large frames are hard to hold on to and operate the miter saw at the same time so an extra pair of hands helps so much!
Some of the frames are going to need some refinishing before I cut them to size and reassemble them, but just getting them cut into pieces was a huge help!

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Having someone to talk to while making the bags makes it a little less tedious. They aren't hard to make, just not as exciting as making a quilt. That's great to have help with cutting down the frames. It sounds a little dangerous to cut a long piece accurately by yourself.