Thursday, May 9, 2024

Where have I been?

I have been busy and my computer wouldn't accept my new password so no internet access. It got my computer straightened out so now I'm back in business so let's catch up. There was a training session in the parking lot for Stand Down week. This is a safety week for fall protection. I helped with setting up the food and drinks. Last week I had bought the drinks and the safety guy had ordered the boxed lunches.
Everyone came up to the office from the job site and I was so surprised how many people we have out on site! Several people pitched in to help with the cleanup which was nice.
I have been working in the back yard filling in the ruts and three of the big ruts are almost filled in. I will throw some topsoil and seed on the light brown fill maybe this weekend. I know this looks the same as the last pictures I posted, but I did extend the fill about another 2 feet in each of the three rows and raked the areas smooth. There are some rocks at the end of the rows I still need to pick up.
When I got home from work yesterday there was a big box sitting at the door. I knew what was in it and was interested to see how the contents faired in its trip to my house.
I bought a new cutting mat.
It is slightly bigger than my old mats. It is actually 36" plus a little border not 35" with a border like the gray one.  Here I laid my gray one on top of the new one.
Look at how much thicker the new one is compared to the old one.
I was getting frustrated with rotary cutting because I wasn't getting clean cuts. My old gray mat was so scared, and the green mat had a hole in it that was from repeated cutting in the same spot when I made all those masks for the pandemic. The green one was my mother's so it was over 30 years old and the gray one was at least that old.
I had to try the new mat out so I cut some fabric for more project bags.
I may have to get another one of these mats. I like to butt the mats end to end when I cut long pieces or trim a border, but with the thickness difference I can't do that with the two smaller mats I still have. The old green mat and gray mat are in the trash.  When I carried the mats out to the trash bin the green one snapped in half.  It was brittle!  

4 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Isn’t it a great feeling when you get new mats, blades or seem rippers? I always wonder why I wait so long……

Elle said...

OMG, I love new mats. I replace when they are less "scared" than yours. I cut the big mat into useable pieces for trimming small units (I'm a HST addict). I love my little "rotating" mats!!!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have lots of grooves in my most used mats too. I have a 40 year old table size mat that is on the table where I cut my batting and batting doesn't get caught in grooves on it. I have to used a newer good mat on top when I'm cutting fabric.

Vicki W said...

Oh, I do love a new cutting mat!