Friday, September 23, 2022

Quilt top progress, A/C, vest gifted, and more!

I will start off with the progress on the 4-patch quilt top. Here is how I sewed the bottom row of blocks back on to the top. I first had to fix the block that curved up. Here is the before and after. Much better!
Next I laid the sashing over that row of blocks just so the sashing covered the row, took my rotary cutter and cut the row of blocks along the edge of the sashing, and then trimmed the end so when I flipped the row of blocks to sew it to the sashing I could match up exactly where I needed to. Now that row lays pretty flat.
Next I had to fix the row at the side. The row was never going to lay flat enough to quilt this quilt. Here is how crooked it was.
I used my tape method to sew this row of blocks back on the body of the top. I ended up cutting off a bit of the body and the row of blocks to straighten it out just a bit. I also had to take in the row in three other places to get the fullness out so it would lay somewhat flat.
I can now move forward and add on the blocks and borders since the top is now much flatter!
The A/C service men showed up a little before 9. I was already set up in the backyard to cut up the wood that was demoed from the deck. I needed to mow and the wood needed to go. It was finally cool enough I could stand to be outside. So while the fellows did their thing, I cut the wood up with a circular saw. Those deck boards were 15 1/2 feet long and I cut up 13 along with some handrail, and a rim joist.
Three hours later I was done and the wood was hauled up the hill to the driveway and trash can. I still have all my finger too!
My old and new condenser
The service man suggested I get a new thermostat and since they gave me a heck of a deal I went ahead and did that too. They had a fellow in the area - the guys putting in the condenser didn't have one - so Joe stopped by later on and installed the new one. Here's the old one and the new one.
After I was done with the wood cutting, I trimmed and mowed and mowed and mowed until it was 3 p.m. and I could not take one more step. I had been working since 8 and I was tired! That's when I got something to eat and started working on the 4-patch quilt. Thursday after work I delivered the vest. The Dad had his son open the box and the son loved it! It also fit him which was a big relief!
I am going to try and finish mowing tonight. I have part of my backyard to mow plus part of my neighbor's yard to finish. They are on vacation and he asked me to mow. I also had to rescue one of their shutters that had come loose. It was fine one minute and the next time I was outside it was falling off. The wind must have gotten behind it and loosen it. I wanted to get it down before it fell and got damaged.
Since I did 4 loads of laundry yesterday, that job is pretty much done so this weekend I plan on working on the 4-patch quilt and do a bit of weeding. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Pauline Michaud said...

Always lots on our plate, Patty. It must feel good to get the air conditioning fixed and updated. We had to get ours replaced this summer as well. Sounds like the deck takedown project has gone well. Hope you have a nice relaxing weekend working on the four-patch quilt. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your old thermostat looks like the original one I had in this house. I got a new one in 2004 but could use an even more modern one. If you got the same cool weather we are having you won't be needing the A/C for awhile. It's still in the 50s here at noon.
What a relief that the vest fits perfectly. That's always a challenge.

swooze said...

Busy as always! Love all your projects. I too love puzzling through repairs on old pieces 😊

Cherie in St Louis said...

Moving and cutting all that wood all by itself would have worn me out! Glad you have working A/C even though it has cooled down a bit. We’re in Hays, Kansas and it’s hot here so there might be some more hot weather yet this season. Have a great weekend!