Wednesday, September 21, 2022

A busy half day vacation

First thing I got into was wrapping the vest while I waited for the service man. I looked around the house for a box and found a black box that I stored my rubber stamps in. I needed to recover the lid with some black wrapping paper to cover up a logo that was on it. I had stopped to get a package of tissue paper for the inside. I had the dotted wrapping paper then looked for some ribbon. I dug around the box I keep sewing supplies and odds and ends. I found a piece of ribbon that was originally for putting on a hem. It worked just fine to finish off the package.
The A/C service man showed up about 1 p.m. and he got to work trying to figure out what the problem was. After a bit he came in and told me there were leaks at the factory joints in the condenser. The condenser is that unit that sits outside. So that means I need a new one. The manager said he could get a new unit and they could install it on Thursday. That means I have to take a day of vacation, but I won't have to be concerned next year about the A/C working! The blue arrows are pointing at some of the leaks
The condenser was also leaking at this valve.
So while the service man was doing his thing, I worked on the 4-patch vintage quilt. A good pressing was in order. I pressed from the back and oh my the maker was more into design than technique. I wonder why this top was not completed. Maybe because it got so out of kilter they gave up?
I needed to take off the bottom row of 4 patch blocks and ripped the blocks off about half way up on the left side.
I laid the top out as flat as I could to see where I needed to take in any areas that didn't lay flat. The first area I fixed was along one of the sashing strips.
I ripped out the stitching along the strip, took in the center seam of the 4-patch, then took the excess out of the strip.
Once I sewed it back together here is the result - much better!
Next I worked on three places at the sides that were keeping the top from laying flat. Look at the excess fabric here!
I ripped out the seam as far back as I thought I needed to be in order to make the worst of the excess fabric disappear
I laid the sashing fabric over the pieced block making sure I had a quarter inch turned under on the sashing and it was nice and flat. 
Next I put a piece of tape over the open seam
I folded the right sides together at the tape. I ran a pencil line along the ridge that the tape made and then sewed the seam along that pencil line.
I trimmed the excess fabric, flipped the top open, gave it a light press and here is what it looks like now. I did this in two other places where there was so much excess fabric the top would not lay flat.
There is still a bit of fullness in this top, but it lays a lot flatter than it did! I can work the fullness in when I quilt it.
Next I need to straighten out the bottom row a bit. You can see how it curves. This is where my skills for improv piecing will come in handy. I will post pictures of how I fix and sew this row back on when I post again on Friday since I will be off tomorrow.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad the serviceman was able to spot the problem and what luck they have one in stock. That has been a problem for the last couple years, nothing in stock.
You have more patience than me working with that crooked top.

Cherie in St Louis said...

I would not have thought to use painters tape to help mark the seam. So glad they’ve figured out you air conditioning problem.

Vicki W said...

We are going to need new AC units soon too. We were able to bandaid one this year and it might last one more year. But they are about 18 years old so they have served us well!