Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Next project

Since I am on a roll finishing vintage quilt tops, I figure why not finish one more. This top came to me in the same box as the vintage rail fence quilt top.
It measures about 60" x 60" so I dug out my vintage fabric and started digging for fabrics that would go with this top. I had saved a couple vintage pieces of fabric that Linda G. sent me for tote bags and they will fit into this quilt top nicely! I roughly cut the fabric and made an additional two rows/columns of four patch squares. The blue stripe came from Linda. The 4-patches are oversized. I didn't want them to be perfect so they would fit in with the rest of the 4-patches and I wanted them to be big enough so there was plenty of wiggle room when I go to fit everything together. I had only done one column, but that still didn't make the top long enough. Then with two columns, the additional pink and blue striped blocks looks more like they belonged than an afterthought.
The plan is to add a scrappy light border using the vintage fabric I could find in my collection plus a piece from Linda
then after the quilt is done, I might dye it in a very pale brown color to tone down the fabric I added. I will have to wait until it is done before I make that decision. Before I do anything though, I need to press the top nice and flat and fix the fullness at the bottom side before I add on the 4-patch blocks.  I think this is going to be a cool scrappy quilt.
I called the heating and cooling place and they are coming this afternoon to perform a leak check. I never had a problem with my A/C until I got the A coil replace last November. I assume the A coil has a one year warranty so it is imperative that we figure out if maybe the coil is the problem.

2 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh fun! Your 4-patches definitely blend in with the originals. Will you have to take tucks to deal with the fullness or just adjust the seams?

Linda Garcia said...

It has been very cool seeing what you have been doing with the fabric I sent you. I have recognized many of the tote bags you made and now this project. It is good to see it used as opposed to sitting in my closet for the last 40 years.
I really liked the vest you made. You are never still!