Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wedding quilt progress and fawn update

My goal was to put a good dent in the getting the wedding quilt underway and I am happy with the progress I made. The only time I left the house to plant my cannas on Sunday evening and water them on Monday morning. I sewed Saturday from 7 am to 9:30 pm. I made three of those giant log cabin blocks and then decided that I wanted to not have so many blocks that looked alike. I was also getting a pile of pieces that were too short to use that method with. It took longer to make the individual half square blocks, but I love the result. Of course, I ran out of the tan and brown fabric so I had to dye more linen and of course it did not come out the same color as the previous fabric, but that was ok. It just added more interest. So by end of day Saturday I had 19 out of 25 blocks done. The blocks measured 18" X 18 1/2" before they were sewed together.
Sunday I was up early again and finished up the blocks and sewed the top together. I dyed the fabric for the back, planted my canna rizomes and call it a day at 8 PM.

Here we are on Monday about noon all pin basted and ready to quilt. I have so many quilts pinned basted that I did not have enough pins to finish this job so I found another quilt that is mostly quilted and took a bunch of pins out of it. I guess I really need to get some quilting done!

If I would have more time I would quilt this piece using lines, but since I am in a time crunch my usual all over design will have to due. I was having a hard time staying focused on Monday. I did have a small interuption when the woman who needed a bridesmaid dress altered stopped over in the early afternoon. I have to take out the zipper and take in the bodice a couple of inches. The dress is strapless so I need to make it good and snug for her. I don't think it will take long to fix the dress. I need to really concentrate and get it done quickly so I don't lose too much quilting time. The wedding is June 11 so I think that will be a weekend job this coming weekend.

I finally saw the mother deer Sunday morning at 6:30 am. She was nursing the fawn and grooming it. After Bubba's breakfast they wandered across the backyard and into the bushes.


Mary Keasler said...

You are one amazing lady. That is a gorgeous quilt and the lucky recipients will certainly be thrilled.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Bubba says, Mom you have to come see this amazing lady and her quilts! LOL.

When I saw your quilt, I was shocked (sharp intake of breath here). It is so beautiful. I must do this.