Monday, June 25, 2018

A rockin' weekend

I spent most of Saturday quilting the JB quilt. I have it all machine quilted except one little area that I couldn't decide on what to do. That bit of indecision did not stop me from starting the hand embroidery work though. I almost got all the way around this t-shirt, but I ran out of floss. All I have left to do is the area across the bottom.

I went out for a half hour on Saturday to start tearing apart an area I used for yard waste. I always had big plans to keep turning over the materials to compost, but I didn't follow thru very often so the grass layers were tough to get thru. I first tore down the fencing I had put up

Then started spreading out the yard waste and grass. The area is beside my neighbors fence and the fence is four panels long which mean 4 times 8' is 24 feet I have to work with.

I only worked for about a half hour, but got back to it on Sunday. Here you get a sense of how tall the pile was - 2 1/2' is my best guess.

I need to dig out this lily of the valley in this bed so I can have more room to spread out my Lenten roses and replace the rotting wooden edging. I didn't want to just throw or the lily of the valley and nothing will gown along the fence because it is so shady. The lily of the valley will be transplanted into the new bed.

I got the top knocked off the yard waste pile - there was some dirt in there too - so I hauled down a couple loads of dirt from the driveway to spread on top. Two wheelbarrows of dirt didn't go very far, but I was getting too tired to haul anymore. In the meantime I jumped over the where the condenser was and clear the plants and weeds around it. I dug up several baby Lenten roses, pulled out a volunteer fern, and a couple of volunteer hostas that were growing up in the Lenten rose bed and around the condenser. I took all that material and stuck it in the new bed. I also moved a pile of rocks and concrete pieces that I had gathered from the yard to start making a border for the new bed. The bed is still pretty rough, but I am happy that the basic plan is in action.
I also laid down weed barrier fabric around the condenser and dumped the bucket of small egg sized rocks behind it. That bucket of rocks I had brought from the job site didn't go too far! I am going to have to bring a lot more home. Just so you know the company I work for is the contractor on the job. When you get awarded a job unless the contract specifies that materials are to salvaged, you own everything the owner leaves behind. I asked my boss and she said it was ok that I salvage the rocks. The subcontractor doing the site work doesn't want them either so I can take whatever I want.

I needed to start using those rocks I bought and have been dragging home from work so I brought down one load of the smaller rocks for a border and I will fill in with the egg sized rocks. The area to the right of the condenser is the path I take to get to the hose bibb. Once I get it done I won't have to walk in the dirt anymore.

Now if the weather would cooperate I would love to get the foundation painted. I think that is going to make a huge difference and things will start looking like I am actually getting something done! LOL!! The forecast is calling for rain Tuesday and Wednesday then another heat wave is rolling in so right now it is not looking too good for painting.

The plants are loving the weather though. The roadside lilies, lavender, and coneflowers are looking good. I do like to weed the lavender because it smells so good when I rustle the plants around.

To finish off the weekend I did four loads of laundry, and baked cookies for work while I did dishes.

5 comments:

swooze said...

Can you read me now??? Lol

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Good luck in digging out Lily of the Valley. I dug mine out once, covered the area with 10" of dirt and 2 years later the Lily of the Valley was coming up there again. I dug it out again. Now it has come up again and totally taking over the area the last 4 years. It sends it's roots underground to make new plants. Lots of fun digging it.

Vicki W said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your weekend!

Janice Holton said...

I marvel at all the work you do! You are amazing. You always have something going on. I am surprised you ever stop to sit down and quilt! You seem like the kind of person who doesn't like to sit much. :)

Kaja said...

I like the hand stitching. Your quilt looks good already but that extra work always takes your pieces to the next level.