Monday, December 27, 2010

Completions

I finished the family xmas quilt! Ok, so I was a couple of days late. I quilted for 5 hours on Sunday, put on the label, and now it is done! My brother from S.C. won so now I will have to mail it to him, but I may leave it hanging in the living room for awhile so I can enjoy it awhile before I send it off to it's new home. I forgot to measure it, but the blocks are 8 3/4" square and so that comes to about 70" x 87.5". I used two whole spools of Essentials Cornsilk thread plus part of another spool - about 2800 yards - for the top and bobbin. I need to start thinking about next year's quilt so I have it done well in advance. I will have to look at my inspiration pictures and come up with an idea.


One of my brothers needed a quilt for a friend who just had another daughter. Her name is Wren. I put this together on xmas day - my family has xmas on xmas eve. I only had to hand sew about 3 feet of binding and put on the label on Sunday. My brother is headed back to California on Tuesday so I wanted to get it to him before he left. Since Wren's father is in the music business like my brother, I used some of my black and white fabrics with musical notes, etc. for some of the blocks.

I used Prairie Gothic on the back - I thinks it looks nice and I just didn't feel like piecing the back.


I am taking vacation the next three days. Items on the agenda - altering a t-shirt for my nephew, finishing the 2008 Xmas quilt (I won it so there was no pressure to get it done), straighten out my fabric storage room, clean up the laundry/dyeing/utility room, and straighen out piles of paperwork. My house is a wreck/"hot mess" (from Clean House) so there is no shortage of things to do. I have been so busy sewing that I have had no time to clean. I can't hardly stand the mess anymore.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have had a really good year of 'finishing'. As far as pieced backs are concerned, there are so many fantastic large prints that make terrific backs that I don't see the reasonoing to piece the back in most cases. I usually only piece when I don't have a large enough chunk to make the back and then usually only with 2 different fabrics.

Vicki W said...

I agree with Wanda, that's a great finish to the year!